- Hair becomes dull, dry, frizzy and coarse
- Skin becomes dry and tight, and if especially bad, can lead to flaking, cracking, itching and inflammation
- Nails become weak, split and break easily
4 Important Building blocks for healthy hair, skin and nailsStrong healthy hair, smooth glowing skin and strong nails are all made up of healthy connective tissue derived from proteins; collagen provides strength and firmness, elastin provides elasticity and flexibility while keratin provides structural support for hair, skin and nails.
- Biotin belongs to the vitamin B family (vitamin B7) and helps build up keratin levels in the skin, hair and nails. A biotin deficiency may lead to a dry scalp, hair loss, dermatitis, eczema and dry, flaky skin or brittle nails. Biotin helps normalise your body’s oil secretions.
- Collagenis the body’s most abundant protein that attracts and binds water to keep your skin ‘plumped up’ and hydrated for firmer, healthier looking skin and to strengthen hair, skin and nails. Collagen can help to replenish lost or declining levels of collagen.
- Omega-3’s keep your skin hydrated and ‘plumped-up’ improving the tone and flexibility of your skin; particularly important if you have dry, flaking or rough skin.
- Silica is an important trace mineral found in abundance in hair, skin and nails and is essential for keratin production and cross-linking of collagen. Keratin and collagen support the strength, integrity and elasticity of hair, skin and nails.
Top 4 Winter lifestyle tips for healthy hair, skin and nails
- Drink plenty of water to maintain healthy hydration
- Eat a variety of good quality, protein rich foods
- Include lots of fresh fruits & vegetables in your diet
- Enjoy moderate exercise to get your circulation going
More Winter lifestyle suggestions for healthy hair, skin and nails
- Wear gloves when outside to protect hands
- Apply sunscreen & lip balm when enjoying the great outdoors
- Try and avoid going from one weather extreme to another
- Use natural, chemical free beauty & personal products – look for more oil based products during winter to help provide a protective barrier leaving your skin more moisturised
- Exfoliate to remove dry, flaking skin to improve activity of moisturisers