- DEET should be handled with caution.
- Keep well away from eyes.
- Do not use, or wash off immediately if there are any suspected rare reactions.
- DEET may damage plastic, rubber, vinyl that is on any outdoor gear you are wearing.
- Do not use DEET on babies 0-6 months.
- For children 6 months to 24 months use products that contain no more than 5-10% DEET and limit to only 1 application per day.
- For children 2 to 12 years use products that contain no more than 5%-10% DEET and limit to only 3 applications per day. Avoid prolonged use.
- For adults and 12 years and up use products that contain no more than 30% DEET.
- DEET at less than 10% concentration can provide 1-2 hours protection against ticks.
- DEET at 20-30% concentration can provide all day protection from mosquitoes and ticks but do check the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Health Recommendations for using DEET - insect repellent
- Featured | Janne Ramsay