The importance of breathing properlyMany people don’t breath deeply enough and, if you think about it, sitting at your desk for a large part of the day, in air conditioning (which itself can cause airborne infections to spread quickly and easily) is not going to give your lungs a chance to really expand and remove toxins effectively. Also, as you get older you may be less mobile and this in itself can cause lung problems. Better breathing can help you avoid the congestion that can lead to pneumonia. Your diaphragm is designed to move freely and it not only helps you inhale and fill your lungs with oxygen, but also assists with lymph movement (again vital in helping the detox process in your body). So if you are sitting in one position for a long time then your breathing may be shallow and cause a build up of fluid and waste products, leading to wheezing or infections.
Are you trying to Quit Smoking?Or maybe you are a smoker, or have recently given up smoking are looking for better breathing and want to give your lungs a treat, and heal them from the residue they may contain. Whatever the reason, you should know that ensuring your lungs are in tip top condition is primary to good health. Perhaps it’s obvious, but if your lungs are clogged you can’t get the oxygen you need into your tissues and around your body and this can lead to many problems including those for your heart and brain.
So can breathing techniques help?For Asthmatics the Butekyo breathing method is often recommended and it can certainly benefit everyone. One important factor you should seriously consider is to breathe through your nose and not your mouth. Your nose was designed for breathing and your mouth for eating, so better not too mix up the two.
Traditional Medicine from China and India for better breathingThere are a number of herbs which can assist your lungs, helping them to clear phlegm and mucous. Amongst the most effective are:
- Astragalus This herb is known as an adaptogen helping cells increase energy, eliminate toxins and utilise oxygen more effectively
- Liquorice Traditionally used as an expectorant to loosen and relieve mucous and catarrh
- Eriobotrya japonica In traditional Chinese medicine this herb is used direct qi downwards helping to relieve lung heat, phlegm and minor coughs
- Fritillaria cirrhosa Another herb used in Traditional Chinese Medicine to relieve phlegm and minor coughs
- Albizia lebbeck Traditionally used in Ayervedic medicine to help with mild allergy symptoms e.g. allergic rhinitis - hayfever