Our top 5 picks for immunity and respiratory health are:
- Medicinal mushrooms such as Reishi, Shiitake, Turkey tail and Cordyceps are highly nutritious and all provide potent antiviral activity with a long traditional use in maintaining a strong healthy immune system. Reishi also provides antiallergy activity and Cordyceps helps to protect respiratory health. These medicinal mushrooms also help to relieve symptoms of colds, flu and mild upper respiratory tract infections.
- Adhatoda One of the best-known herbs for many chronic respiratory complaints. Adhatoda dilates the bronchial tubes and reduces respiratory spasms to assist breathing and to relieve chest tightness, breathlessness, non-productive cough and wheezing. Adhatoda is an effective expectorant that helps to clear mucus from the respiratory tract, relieve coughs and reduce inflammation associated with allergic responses.
- Elecampane Traditionally considered one of the best herbs for lung complaints, it also helps to strengthen the lungs and sustain the strength of those affected by chronic disorders of the respiratory tract.
- Vitamin C Important for enhancing and balancing immune function. Low levels of vitamin C are linked to increased susceptibility for infections.
- Vitamin D Essential for a healthy immune system that also enhances the activity and response of white blood cells during an infection. A significant number of Australians are considered deficient in vitamin D, particularly in winter.