Health Benefits of eating nuts
- Lowers risk of cancer
- Protects against heart disease
- Promotes weight loss
- Stronger immune system
- Better memory
- Healthier skin
What makes nuts so special?Nuts are a nutritionally dense super food. Nuts contain protein, fibre and fats along with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Many people are reluctant to add nuts to their diet due to their fat content but nuts contain healthy fats that your body needs. Choosing to eat a modest amount of nuts instead of sugary snacks, helps shift your body into burning fat rather than sugar, which can lead to weight loss. Plus the nutrient density of nuts helps satisfy your hunger making it easier to stick with a diet. Diabetics should make friends with nuts as they can help keep blood sugar levels stable. Studies have also shown that people who eat nuts tend to eat more healthy foods and exercise more often.
What kind of nuts should you eat?All nuts are not created equal. Some nuts have more health promoting qualities than others. Peanuts are considered to be a legume (bean) rather than a nut, so its best not to add them to your nut mix.
- Macadamia.These nuts are high in monounsaturated fat. They also contain Vitamin B1, magnesium and manganese all needed for cardiovascular health.
- Pecans. Can help keep your arteries healthy as well as lower your cholesterol. These nuts are packed with over 19 different minerals and vitamins.
- Walnuts. These tasty nuts are high in Omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants. They can help reduce inflammation, improve memory, lower cholesterol and help prevent heart disease and cancer.
- Brazil nuts. They are high in selenium and zinc. Selenium helps the other antioxidants in your body work better as well as helps prevent cancer, especially prostate.
- Almonds. Are packed with protein, calcium, antioxidants, flavonoids and polyphenols. In fact one ounce of almonds has as much polyphenols as a cup of steamed broccoli. Their vitamin E content can help your brain stay healthy and keep your skin glowing.