Whether you suffer from osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, you are probably very familiar with those symptoms.
If you are taking pharmaceutical medication or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, also known as NSAIDs, to ease your symptoms, then you should be aware of their harmful side effects such as increasing your risk for stroke and heart attack.
Glucosamine Rebuilds Cartilage… with some help
Sometime ago, Glucosamine emerged as a natural supplement for arthritis patients that not only relieves arthritis symptoms, but also maintains joint health.
However, when it comes to actually rebuilding cartilage, Glucosamine is far more effective with some assistance from Chondroitin, MSM, and Omega-3.
What are Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM?
- Glucosamine is a natural sugar compound found in joint cartilage that protects the joint and reduces inflammation or swelling.
- Chondroitin, also called Chondroitin sulfate, is a structural component of cartilage that gives cartilage its nutrients, fluidity, and elasticity.
- Methylsufonylmethane, more commonly called MSM, is an organic sulfur compound responsible for producing many structural components of joint cartilage.
How Do They Work?
Overall, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM work together naturally to nourish joints and repair cartilage.
- Glucosamine supplements contain either Glucosamine sulphate or Glucosamine hydrochloride, which are both derivatives of the Glucosamine found in seafood. There is also a vegetarian form of Glucosamine hydrochloride available. However, Glucosamine sulphate has been studied more and is believed to be more effective.
- Chondroitin assists Glucosamine in protecting joints by creating a flexible matrix between connective tissue and the protein filaments of cartilage. This matrix prevents enzymes from damaging the cartilage and it maintains the nourishing fluid within the joint cartilage, which provides nutrients and absorbs shock from the joint.
- MSM works along with Glucosamine and Chondroitin to maintain joint health and increase joint mobility.
Are There Any Side Effects to taking Glucosamine?
Glucosamine supplements do not have harsh side effects like arthritis medications, but you may experience
- Digestive issues, such as gas and upset stomach
- Temporary increase in blood pressure
- Skin reactions
With large concentrations of sodium and potassium, Glucosamine supplements may conflict with other supplements or medications. Also, if you are allergic to shellfish, you should seek out vegan or vegetarian Glucosamine supplements that are made from corn instead of seafood. Always consult your healthcare professional before taking a new supplement.
How Does Omega-3 help Glucosamine for Joint Health?
Omega-3 has many health benefits including:
- Improved cognition and brain function
- A healthy heart and cardiovascular system
- Menstrual symptom relief
- Healthy eye and nervous system development
- Balanced and healthy mood
- Superior eye function
Recent studies have found that Omega-3 from fish oil may be an overlooked joint health aid as well. Patients suffering from osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis reported having considerably less pain and more mobility after taking Glucosamine and Omega-3 supplements than patients who took only a Glucosamine supplement. Therefore, naturopaths believe that taking a Glusosamine and Chondroitin supplement along with Omega-3 may be the best natural combination to increase joint mobility, reduce inflammation, and relieve arthritic pain.
So, does Glucosamine really rebuild cartilage? The evidence is suggesting that indeed it does.! This great natural supplement joined by Chondroitin, MSM, or Omega-3 will bring you the arthritis relief you need. Remember to ask a naturopath at Mr Vitamins to find out what dosage is right for you.
Choosing a Glucosamine product:
Fusion Glucosamine Advanced Repair
This Fusion Health supplement comes in a capsule form and along with glucosamine and chondroitin it includes MSM. MSM is a nutritive that enhances absorption and is also an anti-inflammatory helpful to joints. Silica helps with collagen formation which is the connective tissue that holds us and our joints together. “Many aging problems are a direct result of the body’s inability to maintain adequate collagen”. Added to these ingredients are 2 herbal extracts which strengthen tendons and support joint health. They are also anti-inflammatory and analgesic to increase the pain relieving actions of this supplement. Due to the MSM content, please take 2 hours away from medications.
This supplement can also be helpful to skin and other connective tissues in the body.
This Healthy Essentials tablet along with glucosamine and chondroitin also contains lysine and ginger. The benefits of Lysine in a joint formula helps with the connective, elastic tissues that feature in joints. Lysine can be in short supply in the body and therefore useful to address deficiency, such as in those who suffer cold sores. Ginger is a circulatory stimulant that also reduces inflammation and pain.
The lysine content can be helpful as assists to strengthen bones by helping the absorption of calcium.
A tablet that includes Turmeric which is anti-inflammatory and pain relieving. Added to this is manganese, a mineral that can assist in cartilage damage. Pepper is used to help the body absorb and utilise nutrients and is particularly helpful to pair with Turmeric.
The benefits of this supplement is that its simplicity, as it is a safer option for those who are sensitive to MSM or are on medications whose actions may be enhanced by MSM.
Very absorbable in Powder form. This combination contains MSM and a number of minerals often in short supply through our diet but needed for joints, connective tissues and bones. The minerals include: zinc, copper, potassium, manganese and magnesium. Due to the MSM content, please take 2 hours away from medications.
Powders can be more easily absorbed than tablets, and this supplements contains a good combination of supportive minerals for joint health.