Glucosamine Rebuilds Cartilage… with some helpSometime ago, Glucosamine emerged as a natural supplement for arthritis patients that not only relieves arthritis symptoms, but also maintains joint health. However, when it comes to actually rebuilding cartilage, Glucosamine is far more effective with some assistance from Chondroitin, MSM, and Omega-3.
What are Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM?
- Glucosamine is a natural sugar compound found in joint cartilage that protects the joint and reduces inflammation or swelling.
- Chondroitin, also called Chondroitin sulfate, is a structural component of cartilage that gives cartilage its nutrients, fluidity, and elasticity.
- Methylsufonylmethane, more commonly called MSM, is an organic sulfur compound responsible for producing many structural components of joint cartilage.
How Do They Work?Overall, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM work together naturally to nourish joints and repair cartilage.
- Glucosamine supplements contain either Glucosamine sulphate or Glucosamine hydrochloride, which are both derivatives of the Glucosamine found in seafood. There is also a vegetarian form of Glucosamine hydrochloride available. However, Glucosamine sulphate has been studied more and is believed to be more effective.
- Chondroitin assists Glucosamine in protecting joints by creating a flexible matrix between connective tissue and the protein filaments of cartilage. This matrix prevents enzymes from damaging the cartilage and it maintains the nourishing fluid within the joint cartilage, which provides nutrients and absorbs shock from the joint.
- MSM works along with Glucosamine and Chondroitin to maintain joint health and increase joint mobility.
Are There Any Side Effects to taking Glucosamine?Glucosamine supplements do not have harsh side effects like arthritis medications, but you may experience
- Digestive issues, such as gas and upset stomach
- Temporary increase in blood pressure
- Skin reactions
How Does Omega-3 help Glucosamine for Joint Health?Omega-3 has many health benefits including:
- Improved cognition and brain function
- A healthy heart and cardiovascular system
- Menstrual symptom relief
- Healthy eye and nervous system development
- Balanced and healthy mood
- Superior eye function