The Hormonal Roller CoasterNow it is used for menstrual cycle irregularities, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), a very severe form of PMS called premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), and also Menopause. For some women, the symptoms of menopause, which include hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain, depression and mood swings can severely interfere with everyday life. Menopause occurs when the ovaries cease production of oestrogen. Hormone replacement therapy may help to ease menopausal symptoms, but it comes with higher health risks such as breast cancer and cardiovascular disease. The herb Vitex is sometimes used as a natural remedy for the relief of menopausal symptoms.
Can Vitex Help You?It is not known exactly how Vitex agnus-castus works, simply that it seems to have a very positive effect on many hormones that regulate a woman’s reproductive cycle.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Vitex seems to decrease some symptoms of PMS, especially breast pain and tenderness, irritability, low mood or mood swings, anger, and headaches in some women
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), a more severe form of PMS. Vitex agnus-castus is about as effective as the prescription drug Prozac for relieving symptoms of PMDD
- It is believed to be useful for treating “lumpy” (fibrocystic) breasts, hormonal acne breakouts
- To prevent miscarriage, and female infertility in women who have low levels of the hormone progesterone
- It also helps to increase breast milk after childbirth
- It relieves pre-menstrual symptoms including temporary relief of cramping pain, bloating and mild fluid retention