This Simple Sauerkraut recipe is soooo easy and soooo nutritious - give it a try and enjoy the results!
- 1 head of organic cabbage (approx. 900 g)
- 4 teaspoons sea salt*
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- <strong>*<em> salt to cabbage ratio = approx. 2 tsp salt : 450 g cabbage</em></strong>
- Wash hands thoroughly
- Sterilise a large mouth glass jar (wash well with hot water and dish liquid, heat oven to 120˚ C and place upside down on oven rack for 20 mins. Soak jar lids in boiling water for 5 mins) and allow to cool before filling
- Remove outer leaves and cut cabbage into quarters, removing core. DO NOT wash leaves. Keep 1-2 large leaves to use as a cover when finished
- Using sharp knife or mandolin, cut cabbage into fine slices and place in large bowl
- Add salt and seeds, toss together with hands until evenly mixed
- Leave to sit for 10-20 minutes. The salt should draw out liquid from the cabbage required for fermentation
- Pound the mixture well with a large pestle, meat hammer or potato masher, or use clean hands and massage until plenty of liquid is released. Place mixture in jar and press down so vegetables are completely covered by the liquid
- Use leaves set aside at start as a ‘lid’ over cabbage mix, and place a small weight to hold down for first 24 hours.
- Leave the jar out for 36-48 hours at room temperature before placing in fridge.