These energy balls are great for an on the go snack or to curb those afternoon munchies but they also have some fantastic health benefits as well, here is why.
You may have heard of Maca before, but are still not quite sure what it does. Maca is a Peruvian superfood where it has been consumed for thousands of years by locals around the Andes Mountains. This superfood is bursting with nutrients, antioxidants and loads of other goodies that can be beneficial to our health.
Maca has many health benefits such as:
- Potent antioxidant – assisting in reducing free radicals that can cause oxidative stress in the body
- Balances hormones – The mechanism of action is not entirely clear, however, researchers have found that maca can be beneficial in balancing hormones in menopausal women and those with infertility
- Enhances libido – Recent research has shown Maca to increase sexual desire in both men and women
- Improves mood – Maca has been shown to enhance memory and focus (we all need a little of that!)
- Increases energy levels – Maca is considered to be an adaptagen, meaning that it assists the body in adapting to stressful conditions. Maca has been reported to make people feel more awake, energised and motivated after consuming it, like caffiene but without the crash! Sounds like we all need a little maca in our lives!
One of the other benefits of these tasty energy balls is that with the added collagen protein by ATP science, you are going to be doing your hair, skin, nails and joints a favour too. Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies and found basically everywhere; in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, digestive system and tendons. Collagen is that wonderful protein that gives our skin strength and elasticity and keeps us looking young, shiny and youthful! When it comes to looking after our joints you could say that collagen is what gives us the spring in our step. While it acts like the glue to help hold the body together it also acts within the joint to cushion it as we move around going about our daily business.
Some of the great benefits of collagen include:
- Reducing joint pains and joint degeneration
- Assists in repairing damages tissues
- Repairing the gastrointestinal system and reducing leaky gut
- Improving joint elasticity
- Repairing cracked or peeling nails
- Improving skin tone and elasticity
With these energy balls containing so many goodies, who wouldn’t want to try some! Increase your energy levels AND look after your hair, skin, nails and joints (as well as pretty much the rest of the connective tissue in your body) by enjoying this delicious treat!
- 250g nut butter of your choice
- 2 tablespoons of cacao butter
- 2 tablespoons of maca powder ( I used power superfoods - maca smoothie which also has cacao powder)
- 2 table spoons of desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 scoops of ATP choc-caramel noway protein.
- Mix ingredients in a bowl until a firm consistency.
- Roll in to ball shapes
- Roll in desiccated coconut
- Pop in fridge for 30 minutes before eating.
Kiara is a qualified naturopath and remedial massage therapist. With her background as a professional musician Kiara believes in supporting the body holistically through diet and lifestyle to prevent injury and disease. Kiara specialises in working with chronic conditions, digestive health, fatigue and stress management.
Mr Vitamins Recommends