With so much talk about probiotics, it’s sometimes helpful to go back to basics, so here’s what you need to know...
What is a probiotic?You might hear about probiotics being described as ‘good gut bugs’, they are actually bacteria that belong in your digestive systemand help keep you healthy. A healthy digestive system is a bit like a healthy garden; some plants provide shade and others flowers, each one has a different way of contributing to the total function of the garden ecosystem. Taking a good probiotic is like planting seeds in your gut ecosystem.
How do probiotics help your garden grow?Probiotics improve the health of your digestive system which helps keep you healthy:
- Help prevent ‘bad’ bacteria from establishing themselves in your body
- Can reduce abdominal discomfort, bloatingand gas which makes for a happy digestive system
- Improves the integrity of your gut lining, which needs to be healthy to absorb nutrients from your food
- Some probioticstrains can increase the number of friendly bacteria in your gut to boost the total health of your internal garden
- Specific probiotic strains can boost immune function and help with eczema