Raw Kale and Pumpkin Chips
Kale chips are a healthy, nutritious snack to have on hand. Prepare in advance and keep in an airtight container.
- 1 bunch kale (washed and dried)
- ½ a medium pumpkin
- 2 cups cashews (soaked for 2-4 hours)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Cut pumpkin into medium size chunks and bake with a drizzle of olive oil for 15 minutes, or until soft and well-cooked.
- Wash kale and remove the stem. Cut into bite size pieces and place into a large bowl.
- In a food processor or vitamix, combine all ingredients, including the pumpkin, until smooth.
- Add this mixture to the bowl of kale and mix through until all the leaves are covered. You may need to add an extra tablespoon of coconut oil at this stage to aid in mixing the ingredients through.
- Once all the leaves are covered, place onto the food dehydrator trays and dehydrate at 70 degrees celcius for 4-5 hours.
- Alternatively, if you do not have a food dehydrator, bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees until crispy.
Cook time: 4-5 hours if using a dehydrator, 15 minutes if baked in an oven.
All these delicious ingredients are available from Mr Vitamins. Ask one of our Naturopaths or Nutritionists for more advice on preparing healthy foods.
Recipe author: Tiaan Bennett, Naturopath Student