Eating raw honey has some amazing health benefits. As any good raw foodie will tell you, the nutrient value of food is maximised when it’s consumed raw, and honey is no different! Eating raw honey – that’s honey still in its comb - is the best way to enjoy its delicious sweetness and its nutritional value.
- Raw foods are not heated, pasteurised or processed, so the vitamin, mineral and nutrient content is optimal
- Raw foods maintain the activity of any enzymes and healthy bacteria present, so they’re live when they enter your body, and more easily used
What nutrients are in raw honey?Raw honey retains high levels of antioxidant and antibacterial activity as well as active healthy bacteria and enzymes. The natural vitamins and minerals in raw honey include calcium, iron, magnesium, sulphur, copper, manganese, zinc and potassium, plus Vitamin C, B1, B2, B3, B5 and Vitamin B6.
Raw honey is great for your gut too!
- Raw honey is an alkaline forming food helping to maintain a healthy acid/alkaline balance
- The alkalising effect in your digestive tract may assist or prevent indigestion
- Raw honey contains the probiotic bifidobacteria; a good bacteria for gut health. It’s also a prebiotic, encouraging the growth of healthy bacteria in the digestive tract too.
How to know if your honey is rawWhen you see honey sold in its comb, it’s almost certainly raw; honeycomb is raw honey in its most natural form. The hexagonal wax ‘combs’ appear exactly as in the hive, dripping with delicious raw honey, just waiting to be eaten!
5 delicious ways to eat your raw honey!
- A scoop of raw honey in your smoothie adds sweetness, helps digestion and supports immune health
- Drizzle raw honey over salads for a sweet flavour kick
- Make raw honey sandwiches a lunchbox treat for you and your kids
- Put a dollop of raw honey on your cheese platter and add sweetness to a savoury favourite
- Eat raw honey straight from the spoon! Keep the wax in your mouth afterward and chew it like gum
Why chew the Honeycomb wax?Some people say chewing the wax from raw honey for 2-5 minutes after eating helps reduce pain or symptoms of:
- Sore throats
- Sinus infections
- Tension in the neck and jaw