Get your vitamins A and CJust one cup of capsicum will give you more than your daily quota of vitamin A and C, improving eye site and strengthening your immune system. They also contain beta-carotene and capsaicin, preventing risk of cancer, driving down inflammatory pathways and powering up the metabolism!
Add Superfood...This delicious dish also contains a superfood known as quinoa, an ancient grain dating back 4 thousand years ago, discovered by the incas. This grain was and still is their Golden staple food when they discovered how incredibly nutritious quinoa is. The grain contains high levels of protein, fibre, flavanoids, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals – increasing stamina and vitality, strength and energy! Quinoa and vegetable stuffed capsicums are a wonderful meal option for those following a low calorie diet or a gluten free diet, or simply for those looking for incredibly healthy meal options.
Quinoa and Vegetable stuffed Capsicum
- 4 medium capsicums
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots (diced)
- 1 large zucchini (finely chopped)
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ½ cup parsley (finely sliced)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (cruched)
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ avocado to serve
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius.
- Place the quinoa and stock in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the grain is fluffy and looks translucent.
- Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a pan and sautee the onions and garlic. Add the carrots, zucchini, tomato and corn and cook on médium heat for 10 minutes. Then add the parsley and cashews and combine with the quinoa.
- Fill the capsicums with the quinoa and vegetable stuffing and roast in the oven until the capsicums are hot through, approximately 5-8 minutes.