- Naturopaths have been talking about leaky gut for decades as a major contributing factor to many disease states
- Leaky gut is almost never considered as a cause of chronic disease in standard medical practice. In fact the suggestion that “leaky gut” can play a role in any disease state is still dismissed and often ridiculed in orthodox medical practice.
- I’m now hearing a top cardiologist mention leaky gut as one of the major contributing factors in the worlds biggest killer, cardiovascular disease.
What is “leaky gut”?“Leaky gut” is simply a reduction in efficiency of the gut wall’s barrier function. Basically the gut wall has the following broad functions:
- Absorption of nutrients
- Preventing absorption of materials that should not get through
- Complex roles in immune system regulation
Main Drivers of cardiovascular diseaseThe endothelium is the inner most lining of our arteries. It is considered to be an organ of the body – in fact it is the largest organ in the human body. The skin is the second largest organ. The endothelium is the interface between circulating blood and the rest of the artery wall. The cells of the endothelium are involved in many aspects of vascular function including acting as a selective barrier between the contents of the blood stream and the surrounding tissue. According to Dr Houston, three phenomenon drive cardiovascular disease. These are:
- Oxidative stress,
- inflammation and
- immune dysfunction
How do I know if I have a leaky gut ?There is a useful and non invasive pathology urine test that I have been using for over 15 years to detect leaky gut. It is an intestinal permeability test urine test that also tests for how well your gut is absorbing your nutrients. It can be assumed that most of us have a degree of leaky gut – but the question is HOW leaky. What factors contribute to a leaky gut ?
- Other Medications
- Environmental chemical exposure
- Junk food
- Other dietary factors
- Gut infections such as parasitic infections
- Gut bacterial imbalances with the intestines
- How well you are digesting your food
- How well the gut is performing its immune related functions
Healing a leaky gutTo heal a leaky gut, identifying and addressing the causative factors listed above will help to heal a leaky gut. Also, there are many nutrients and supplements that can be taken to accelerate gut healing including:
- Slippery elm
- Aloe Vera
- B vitamins
- Vitamin C
- Many minerals including zinc
- Omega 3 fats
- Collagen supplements
- Many more nutrients, supplements, foods and herbs.