Promising New Study Brings Good news for Alzheimer’sA study just released by The Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences in the USA (1) found that Vitamins B12, B6 and Folic Acid could slow brain deterioration in those withAlzheimer’s disease. This is exciting news, as pharmaceutical alternatives have to date, all been ineffective in slowing this disease. An inflammatory molecule called Homocysteine is now suspected of being a major contributor to Alzheimer's and Dementia. There is an important link between high Homocysteine levels and low levels of Vitamins B12, B6 and Folic Acid. These B vitamins help lower Homocysteine levels which is why they are protective against Dementia, so ensuring you have adequate levels is vital. Here are some techniques that will help keep your brain healthy and reduce the chances of developing Alzheimer's or Dementia.
- Keeping your mind active – e.g. crosswords, Sudoku, playing scrabble, bridge, a musical instrument
- Keeping fit
- Following at Healthy diet
- Getting Quality sleep
- Supplementation with B Vitamins and Folic acid
- Following an alkaline diet
- Managing Stress levels with relaxation, meditation, yoga etc.
- Get your blood levels of Homocysteine checked.