- Improve cardiovascular health
- Improve memory
- Regulate blood sugar levels
- Sharpen eyesight
- Repair damaged muscles
- Reduce risk of cancer
Why are blueberries considered a superfood?Blueberries have over 80 defined nutrients, essential vitamins, fibre and antioxidants that help protect and heal your entire body. They are especially high in phytochemicals that help fight free radical damage from stress, bad diet, disease, pollution, medication and other toxins. The blue colour in blueberries is due to the phytochemical anthocyanin that not only helps prevents cellular damage but also reduces inflammation, two of most common issues that cause ill health.
Why does freezing blueberries make them better?When fruit is frozen it changes the molecular structure and often reduces its nutritional value. However this is not the case with Blueberries, which actually improve nutritionally from being frozen. Studies show that even after 6 months of being frozen blueberries' antioxidant levels stayed the same as fresh blueberries. Even more incredible is that their anthocyanin levels increased making them even more beneficial for good health.
Are organic berries really better?Yes, typically, organic blueberries contain higher amounts of nutrients than commercial berries due to better soil and no pesticides. Always choose organic or locally grown, pesticide free whenever possible.
Health benefits of consuming blueberries
- Cardiovascular health The antioxidants in blueberries are particularly helpful for your heart. They help increase blood flow, reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol, reduce blood pressure and strengthen blood vessels.
- Cognitive function Blueberries help combat free radical damage to nerve cells that are needed for healthy brain function. They also promote the growth of new nerve cells that are essential to combat age related memory disorders.
- Eye health Your eyes are very sensitive to damage from the environment. The antioxidants in blueberries help protect and heal your eyes from sun damage as well as other environmental toxins.
- Diabetes and Insulin Resistance Blueberries register low on the glycemic index due to their high fibre content making them a great fruit choice for those who wish to keep to a low sugar diet. As well as fibre these berries have other properties that help regulate blood sugar levels.