Does your immune system need a boost? Take our Winter Wellness testYour immune system is continually defending your body against foreign invaders such as viruses and bacteria. Most of the time you don’t even notice this is happening. But sometimes you get run down and before you know it, you just can’t shake off a cold or virus. Answering yes to more than one of these six simple questions may give you a hint as to whether your immune system needs a little extra support:
|Do you experience fatigue?|
|Do you have any inflammation?|
|Do your wounds heal slowly?|
|Are you stressed?|
|Do you get repeated or chronic infections?|
|Do you have any digestion problems such as bloating, burping, bad breath, flatulence, heartburn, nausea, constipation, and diarrhoea?|
What you can do to maintain Winter Wellness?You need a strong, healthy immune system to help you fight off the perils of winter. The shorter, darker, colder days leave your body more susceptible to those winter nasties. Prevention is always the best option. A balanced, nutritious diet and healthy lifestyle can help to build your immunity and prepare you for the winter attack.
- Wash your hands. Sounds simple and is the best way to stop the spread of germs. You touch shared things everyday, such as money, pens, keyboards, railings in trains and on stairs. Washing your hands every couple of hours and always washing them before putting them near your mouth or food. is your first step to prevention.
- Eat a well, balanced diet that includes plenty of fresh vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, fish, eggs, legumes and lean meat.
- Choose seasonal foods that suit the winter months such as citrus fruits and berries high in vitamin C and vegetables rich in calcium such as broccoli, parsley, chickpeas, carrots, cauliflower, green beans and pumpkin. Don’t forget wonderful nourishing broths and vegetable soups.
- Avoid or reduce foods that are mucous forming, such as diary and refined foods.
- Avoid foods low in nutrients such as refined foods, white flour products, sugar and alcohol.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
- Get plenty of regular exercise.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Take time to rest and relax.
- Remember that your Gut makes more immunological decisions in one day than the rest of your body makes in a lifetime.
What else can you do to boost your Immune System for Winter Wellness
- Nutrients such as Zinc, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D are crucial for healthy immune function.
- Herbs such as Andrographis and Elderberry can help to improve immune function and reduce the symptoms of colds and flu, such as sore throat, headache and nasal congestion.
- Echinacea is one of our most recognised herbs for its antimicrobial and antiviral properties and is often recommended to stimulate the immune system.
- Olive leaf extract is a potent antibacterial.