What is Restless Leg Syndrome?This syndrome is characterized by leg and foot agitation that causes pain, irritation and sleep to be interrupted. This is a condition that affects both men and women as well as children and teenagers. There are no known reasons why RLS occurs but there are natural, drug free solutions that help minimize or eliminate the symptoms.
Relieving your symptomsThe main symptom of Restless Leg Syndrome is the inability to keep legs still while resting, due to a crawling, tingling, cramping, burning or aching sensation in legs or feet. These symptoms are worse at night or during inactivity. Moving, stretching and walking temporarily relieve the irritation. Those who suffer with RLS usually have sleep deprivation due to the inability to rest. Constant insomnia can cause serious health concerns as well as depression and lack of energy. Reducing stress levels and changing your diet can play a big part in minimizing RLS symptoms.
Self help for Restless Leg SyndromeDietary changes
- Avoid caffeine, sugar, chocolate and alcohol. These are stimulants and increase the symptoms of RLS.
- Avoid acidic foods such as: bacon, ham, cheese, eggplant, potatoes, and tomatoes especially before bedtime.
- Add foods like: bananas, dates, figs, milk, turkey, whole grains and yogurt. These foods help promote sleep and work well if eaten just before bedtime.
- Stretching and walking during the day and just before bed help relieve RLS symptoms. All moderate forms of exercise can help the body reduce stress.
- Take a warm bath before bed. Try adding a few drops of Lavender Essential oil. The warmth of the water and the scent of Lavender promote relaxation.
- Practice mediation before going to sleep. Meditation can help your mind and body relax and fall asleep
Natural health solutions for Restless Leg SyndromeVitamins
- Vitamin B Complex
- Kava Kava
- Passion flower
- Mucuna Pruriens