- ½ cup Caster sugar or Xylitol (healthy sugar alternative)
- 1 Vanilla bean (split)
- 1 kg Peaches (fresh ripe – peeled, stoned and cut into slices)
- 300 g Raspberries (fresh or frozen thawed)
- Vanilla ice cream or Cream or Coconut ice cream (recipe follows)
- Combine Xylitol (sugar), vanilla and 1 cup cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add peaches. Stand for 10 minutes. Drain peaches, reserving ½ cup syrup.
- Blend raspberries and ¼ cup reserved syrup until smooth. Place a fine sieve over a bowl. Press raspberry mixture through a sieve. Discard seeds.
- Divide peaches and remaining reserved syrup between glasses. Serve with ice cream or cream or coconut ice cream and drizzled with raspberry mixture.
Healthy Coconut Ice Cream
Coconut is actually a saturated fat – but more than that it is GOOD for you and can be a great addition to a weight loss program. See our article on Healthy Weight Week and the comments about using coconut oil.
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar/Xyliltol (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut (optional)
- Combine the coconut milk and sugar (Xylitol), stirring to dissolve.
- Stir in the extract and the coconut flakes.
- Chill in the freezer, stirring occasionally until hardened, or prepare in an ice cream maker or a powerful blender according to the manufacturer’s instructions.