So you want to start a family!Well getting yourself into optimum health is the first priority and this should be started 3 to 4 months before conception. Ideally being of normal weight will help, being significantly either overweight or underweight can affect fertility:
- Being underweight can put you at risk of anemia, or delivering prematurely
- Being overweight can cause gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, pre-eclampsia and miscarriage
Organic foods give you the best nutrition
- Eat organic whenever possible as it minimises toxic exposure in the form of pesticide residues, tastes better and supports local growers.
- Be colourful, eat a variety of veggies and fruit, green, red, yellow, orange, pink and purple to give yourself a wide array of vitamins.
- Eat grass fed meat and free range poultry; conventionally farmed animals can contain, antibiotics as well having been fed on GM grain. They can be inhumanely treated also.
- Include Omega 3 rich fatty fish; including Wild Salmon (not farmed), Mackeral and Sardines as they provide protein but also are anti-inflammatory, support hormone balance and reproductive health.
- Eat High Fibre and Wholegrain foods; processing grains removes vitamins and minerals, thus affecting blood sugar levels.