Phospholipids key to better absorption and health benefitsThe health benefits of Krill oil are thought to be a result of its phospholipids being bound to, and carrying, high Omega-3 (EPA and DHA) content. Most of the fatty acids in fish are incorporated into triglycerides, whereas 30-60% of the fatty acids in Krill are incorporated into phospholipids. This had led researchers to hypothesise that phospholipids help to improve the bioavailability of EPA and DHA. (4,5) Phospholipids are structural components of human cell membranes. They are water-soluble, have better bioavailability and are more efficiently incorporated into cell membranes than triglyceride or free fatty acid forms of omega-3. (6,7)
Astaxanthin and anti-ageingWhen measuring the oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC), which shows the ability to block free radicals, Krill oil is 48 times more effective than fish oil and 34 times more effective than coenzyme Q10. (1) The antioxidant activity of Krill oil is attributed to its Astaxanthin content; a powerful antioxidant of the carotenoid family. (8) Clinical studies confirm that Astaxanthin has significant effects on:
- lipid peroxidation (oxidative damage to lipids)
- obesity-induced oxidative stress
- functional dyspepsia and
- male infertility
- lipid metabolism,
- reducing triglyceride and total cholesterol
- increasing HDL cholesterol (9)
- skin wrinkle (‘crow’s feet’)
- age spots
- moisture content (8)
Cholesterol and heart health improved with Krill OilOmega-3 has been reported to decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease through mechanisms of reducing inflammation, blood pressure, plaque accumulation and cholesterol. (10) Supplementing with Krill oil has shown to be effective at managing cholesterol; reducing total cholesterol, LDLs and triglycerides while increasing levels of HDLs. (2,11) A three month clinical trial involving 120 patients found that a daily dose of 1-3g of Krill oil was supportive in hyperlipidaemia (high levels of fats in the blood), with 500mg Krill oil being effective for long-term regulation of blood lipids. (2) At the end of the 90 days, those taking Krill oil were shown to have reduced LDLs by 32-39% and triglycerides by 11-26.5%, while having increased HDLs by 44-59%. 2,3 Recent research suggests Krill oil may be more effective at lowering cholesterol than fish oil. (1)
Krill Oil for metabolic syndrome and weight managementIt appears that an increased intake of Omega-3 Krill oil can help support weight loss. (11) A diet high in Krill oil (EPA, DHA and phospholipids) provides:
- changes in membrane fatty acid composition(10)
- decreases blood sugar(1) or
- preserves glucose homeostasis and reverses
- fatty liver
- fat-cell enlargement and
- inflammation of white adipose tissue
Arthritis relief with Omega-3One of the many benefits of Omega-3 found in clinical trials is its anti-inflammatory action in the body. Krill oil has also been found to exhibit positive effects on the joints in arthritis, reducing pain by 30% and stiffness by 20% within 7-14 days. (12,13)
Relief for PMS and dysmenorrhea (painful periods)Adequate levels of Omega-3 have been shown to reduce symptoms of premenstrual syndrome such as
- weight gain
- abdominal pain
- irritability and
- feeling overwhelmed
Krill Oil for Brain healthDHA is an important component of the brain and necessary for brain cells to communicate. Studies show Krill oil improves focus and concentration in those with ADHD (15) and may offer anti-inflammatory assistance in stroke. (16) The amount of Omega-3 in the brain tends to decrease with age, decreasing membrane fluidity and cell communication, therefore impairing memory. Krill oil, and its phospholipids and fatty acids, play an important role in elderly brain function as well as during pregnancy and infancy where DHA is essential for neurological development. (5) Krill are essential organisms in the Antarctic ecosystem and are food for whales, seals and penguins. Therefore, it is important that Krill oil is obtained from an environmentally sustainable source.
Krill Oil Supplement StudyMr Vitamins is proud to announce an Omega 3 (Krill Oil) Supplement Study jointly sponsored by the University of Western Sydney, The National Institute of Complementary Medicine and Bioceuticals. Mr Vitamins Clinic and our qualified naturopaths have been chosen to lead this important study to determine the effectiveness of a newly formulated Omega 3 supplement (Krill Oil) to improve omega 3 levels. Your participation is a much valued contribution to this important work. Find out more, and enquire about being part of this trial here:
- Massrieh W. Health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids from Neptune krill oil. Lipid Technol2008;20(5):108-111.
- Bunea R, Farrah K, Deutsch L. Evaluation of the effects of Neptune krill oil on the clinical course ofhyperlipidemia. Altern Med Rev 2004;9(4):420-428.
- Krill oil Monograph. Altern Med Rev 2010;15(1):84-86.
- Ulven SM, Kirkhus B, Lamglait A, et al. Metabolic effects of krill oil are essentially similar to those of fish oilbut at lower dose of EPA and DHA, in healthy volunteers. Lipids 2011;46:37-46.
- Tou J, Jaczynski J, Chen Y. Krill for human consumption: nutritional value and potential health benefits.Nutr Rev 2007;65(2):63-77.
- Kullenberg D, Taylor LA, Schneider M, et al. Health effects of dietary phospholipids. Lipids in Health andDisease 2012;11(3) www.lipidworld.com/11/1/3
- Rossmeisl M, Jilkova ZM, Kuda O, et al. Metabolic effects of n-3 PUFA as phospholipids are superior totriglycerides in mice fed a high-fat diet: possible role of endocannabinoids. PLoS ONE 2012;7(6):e38834 www.plosone.org
- Tominaga K, Hongo N, Karato M, et al. Cosmetic benefits of astaxanthin on human subjects. BiochimicaPolonica 2012;59(1):43-47.
- Choi HD, Youn YK, Shin WG. Positive effects of astaxanthin on lipid profiles and oxidative stress inoverweight subjects. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 2011;66:363-369.
- Maresz K, Meus K, Porwolik B. Krill oil: background and benefits. International Science and Health Foundation 2010 www.superbakrill.com
- Zhu JJ, Shi JH, Qian WB, et al. Effects of krill oil on serum lipids of hyperlipidemic rats and human SW480cells. Lipids in Health and Disease 2008;7:30 www.lipidworld.com/content/7/1/30
- Deutsch L. Evaluation of the effect of Neptune krill oil on chronic inflammation and arthritic symptoms. J of Am Coll of Nutr 2007;26(1):39-48.
- Ierna M, Kerr A, Scales H, et al. Supplementation of diet with krill oil protects against experimental rheumatoid arthritis. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2010;11(136) www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/11/136
- Sampalis F, Bunea R, Pelland MF, et al. Evaluation of the effects of Neptune krill oil on the management of premenstrual syndrome and dysmenorrhea. Alt Med Rev 2003;8(2):171-179.
- Rouder L. Evaluation of the effects of Neptune krill oil on adult attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder.Disability Services, Barry University, Miami, Florida.
- Kidd PM. Integrated brain restoration after ischemic stroke - medical management, risk factors,nutrients, and other interventions for managing inflammation and enhancing brain plasticity. Alt Med Rev 2009;14(1):14-35.