While some heavy metals, such as iron, copper, zinc and manganese are required by your body in small doses, they can be detrimental to your health in excessive amounts. Other heavy metals, such as mercury and lead, have no known benefits to human beings, and, even in small quantities, can be deemed dangerous to your health.
How do heavy metals disrupt metabolic function?Heavy metals are naturally found in our soils and in the earth’s crust. However, modern manufacturing and industrial practices have drastically altered their geochemical cycles and biochemical balance. As a result, not only have we seen an accumulation of metals in our plant and animal life, but also in processed foods, in the air we breathe, in our water supplies and in many of the products we apply onto your body and the environment.
Heavy metals disrupt metabolic functions in two important ways:
- Firstly, they accumulate in the body and disrupt normal and effective function of vital organs and glands such as the liver, the heart, brain, kidneys, bone and the endocrine system.
- They displace vital nutritional minerals from their original place, thereby hindering their biological function.
Here is Part one of our 3-Part Report on 21 Ways you can reduce your exposure to heavy metals and toxins in your body:
- Replace Antiperspirants with Natural deodorants –Our bodies need to perspire as this is part of our body’s natural way to eliminate toxins. Using an antiperspirant interferes with this process. Many commercial antiperspirants also contain aluminium, known to impact negatively on the central nervous system, and now attributed as a factor in Alzheimers Disease. Natural chemical-free deodorants help to cover the odour without stopping perspiration.
- Be careful with your fish –Fish tend to absorb mercury from the water they live in. The World Health Organisation (WHO) suggests that exposure to mercury, even in small amounts, may cause serious health problems, particularly to the development of children - it can be a threat to the development of a child in utero and early in life. It may also have toxic effects on the nervous, digestive and immune systems, and on lungs, kidneys, skin and eyes. Consider reducing the intake of those fish that contain higher levels of mercury, such as swordfish, shark, gemfish, ling and barramundi, to once a week.
- Consider your dental work -Silver-coloured fillings are usually made with a mercury amalgam, which may break down over time. Small traces of mercury can be released when chewing your food. Consider having these removed.
- Drink ample filtered water -Water is one of the most vital ways to purify your body. Drinking filtered water regularly helps to minimize the intake of toxins that can be found sometimes in our water supply, such as fluoride.
- Beware of old paint - As recently as the 1970s, paint was made with lead. So, if you live or work in an older structure, there's a good chance there is lead-based paint somewhere beneath the most recent layer. Be mindful of places where paint might be chipping, and definitely keep small children from putting paint chips in their mouths.
- Increase your intake of coriander (cilantro) - Coriander has been found to be a natural chelating agent. Eating a small amount of coriander daily (several tablespoons of a pesto made from coriander) for a period of a few months can help to naturally reduce heavy metals in your body.
- Drink Marine Green Clay Daily - Clay is an ancient and highly effective method of eliminating heavy metals, toxins, pesticides and chemicals from our bodies, used by indigenous cultures for thousands of years. Green Marine Clay has a strong negative ionic charge. As clay passes through your digestive system, itexpands like a sponge, absorbing water as it works its way through your body. But as well as water it also soaks up many positively-charged toxins in its path until it is fully saturated. The positively-charged toxins are magnetically attracted to the negatively-charged clay. Once the clay has travelled through the digestive tract it is eliminated from the body along with the toxins attached to it. Just be sure to drink plenty of water when using this clay in order to prevent dehydration.