The dangers of TolueneThis is what the Harvard School of Public Health said about it in their study published in December 2014 “Used as a solvent, maternal exposure has been linked to brain development problems and attention deficit in the child, according to the EPA and OSHA.” And the EPA (Environmental Protection Authority) warns that, “The highest concentrations of toluene usually occur in indoor air from the use of common household products (paints, paint thinners, adhesives, synthetic fragrances and nail polish) and cigarette smoke.” And don’t forget as a raw material for glue which so many children use for basic crafts! Toluene is also released in automobile emissions as it is added to gasoline to increase the octane ratings. This chemical directly effects the Central Nervous System–your brain and your spinal cord.
How can you deal with scents naturally?Here are three ideas that you can start to do today, and you don’t have to leave your home to do them:
- Clean the stuff that causes the odours – yes clean, or wash, the offending items - clean the shoes, clear away the garbage, wash the dog, do a big clean out and find the offender. Whatever it takes to deal with the smell.
- Leave a Bowl of Vinegar out overnight – in the areas that are smelling, just pour some plain white vinegar in a bowl and leave it out overnight and you will find the area smelling fresher by the morning.
- Use bicarbonate of soda – Some people keep a box of bicarbonate of soda in their fridge to manage all the odours that live there. It’s also great for other places in your house; sprinkle some in the bottom of garbage bins and kitty litter boxes.
Create your own NATURAL home scentIf you are like me you are thinking, ok I can do this but sometimes I need a room spray for the bathroom or a nice fragrance around the home. This is what I do that is 100% natural and healthy too:
- I make my own room spray – I take a 100ml glass spray bottle and fill it with pure water. Then I simply add 10 drops of 100% pure essential oils. My favourite is 5 drops of lemon and 5 drops of Purification essential oil blend. I have one of these for each of my bathrooms.
- I use a water diffuser – these are great as they turn the oils into a fine mist. I fill the diffuser with pure water, than I add 6 to 10 drops of essential oil (Citrus Fresh is one of my favourites) and turn it on. This fine mist is from the diffuser continues for hours. The great thing about diffusers is that they don’t heat the oils (like an oil burner) because when you heat up oils you change their chemistry and affect their qualities.
Here are my four favourite 100% pure, authentic essential oilsThese are the four essential oils and essential oil blends I use at home to create a delicious smell and support my family’s health (you can find these at the Mr Vitamins 394 Victoria Avenue store):
- Citrus Fresh™ essential oil blend - works as an air purifier. It also is a relaxing, calming blend. Rich in the powerful antioxidant d-limonene, it stimulates overall energy while bringing about a sense of well-being, creativity and feelings of joy. It also works as an air purifier.
- Lemon (Citrus limon) - has a strong, clean, purifying citrus scent that is revitalising and uplifting. It consists of 68% d-limonene, a powerful antioxidant. It is delightfully refreshing in water and may be beneficial for the skin's appearance.
- Purification™ essential oil blend - can be used directly on the skin to cleanse. When diffused, it helps to purify and cleanse the air from cigarette smoke and disagreeable odours. It is very comforting in the cold seasons.
- Thieves™essential oil blend - created based on research about four thieves in France who covered themselves with clove, rosemary, and other botanicals. Use Thieves in your home or office, for clean-smelling air.