- Dried Goji berries mixed with rice or a trail mix will give your body more beta-carotene than carrots while nourishing your liver;
- Adding Blueberries to your winter porridge or summer smoothie delivers a healthy dose of resveratrolto help protect your eyes;
- While Blackberry jam on your toast provides vitamins C and E plus heart friendly soluble fibre.
When it comes to flu season, the Elderberry is perhaps the greatest berry of them allHailing from the honeysuckle family, the Elderberry tree is the legendary ‘medicine chest’ of the great healer Hippocrates. I In fact, Elderberry medicine recipes date back to Ancient Egypt and Greece and millennia later, the tiny fruit, which turns black when ripe, is still a revered source of flavonoids – rich in vitamins A, B6 and infection-fighting C. It also boasts powerful punches of potassium, iron, fibre and beta-carotene. , and it also has a more potent antiviral effect than one of the most popular natural cold and flu fighters, echinacea.
3 great reasons to consider trying Elderberries this flu season
- They’re packed with antioxidants that your immune system loves Elderberries are one of the richest sources anthocyanins – potent antioxidants that support immune function by helping produce immune cells targeting inflammation and infection. In addition, the Elderberry helps to prevent the replication of the viruses, which are responsible for colds and flus.
- Your body will crave them as a flu buster As a natural remedy to reduce the severity and duration of colds and flu, antiviral Elderberries are the trick. The flu can have a debilitating effect on the entire body and can often leave you bed bound. Elderberries can help to reduce the duration and severity of colds and flu symptoms such as aches, pains and fever.
- This small and humble berry is very child friendly The good news is that Elderberries are suitable for kids too. Children can be vulnerable and much more likely to contract the flu than adults. As the flu is highly contagious, it can be easily spread from coughing and sneezing. The Elderberry is a good choice as both a preventative measure, and to speed up the recovery of your little ones.
- You can also get the benefits of Elderberries as a supplement