Fresh is best but is that what you are buying?Feeding our growing population has meant that:
- There is a fast turnover in conventionally grown fruit and vegetables.
- Our soils are consequently depleted of many minerals and our crops are sprayed with various pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.
- Most fruit and vegetables are picked before they ripen, placed in storage, transported, marketed and then finally artificially ripened.
- They lack vitamins and minerals and their wonderful antioxidant properties.
So what can you do to ensure you’re getting the freshest and best quality produce?Fortunately, there are alternatives to the mass production of the usual supermakets:
- Farmer's Markets and local Co-ops offering select fresh organic, fruit and vegetables.
- Local greengrocers who pride themselves in sourcing and selling fruit and vegetables that have been picked fresh and taken straight to market
- The Slow Food Movement
What's fresh and in season now?Here is a list of what is seasonally fresh in March: