Beating pollenPrevention is better than cure, always! Therefore some actions you can take to prevent the suffering include:
- Check the weather and pollen forecast before venturing outdoors, or opening windows. Protect yourself before venturing out.
- Wrap around sunglasses can limit exposure to your eyes.
- Coat your nose to minimise contact of the pollen with the lining of your nose. You can do this with a 2 or 3 ml of any vegetable oil such as almond or jojoba and add in 1 drop of Eucalyptus essential oil. Then coat the inside of your nose with this blend.
- When you have had to go out, shower before bed to remove any pollen stuck to your hair that would otherwise disrupt your sleep.
Hay fever remedies
- Maintain a dust free environment, vacuum often, update mattresses and pillows when needed.
- Use steam inhalations with essential oils twice per day to relieve build up of mucous and relieve sinus pressure. Add 3 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil to a cup of boiling water, use a towel to form a tent covering for your nose and the cup that directs the steam up your nose. Inhale the steam for 15 minutes, stop and clear your nose as needed. Doing this before bed can assist with relieving symptoms in order to improve sleep.
- Consider the following supplements to help ease symptoms:
- Nettle Tea - Nettle provides a natural antihistamine effect
- Vitamin C - Not only does it support the immune system, it may also have antihistamine effects to help reduce symptoms.
- Horseradish- traditionally used as a decongestant, combines well with the anti-inflammatory actions of garlic to provide relief.
- Omega 3 - fish oils also provide an anti-inflammatory effect to help reduce the discomfort.