Health benefits of Coconut Sugar
- Safe to use. This sweetener is a natural healthy product when used in moderation. It is safe alternative to white sugar for those who can use that type of sugar. Coconut sugar has 15 calories and 4 grams of carbohydrates per teaspoon.
- Low Glycemic index. Coconut sugar is rated at 35 on the glycemic index making it diabetic friendly. White sugar is rated around 60. A lower glycemic level means that this sugar will take longer to be absorbed by your body and not spike blood sugar levels.
- Packed full of nutrients. Coconut sugar contains potassium, iron, magnesium, and zinc. All of which are necessary for healthy body function. In addition to these minerals this sugar also has B Vitamins, Essential Amino Acids and Vitamin C. White refined sugar has little to no nutritional value.
- Contains fibre. This sugar contains inulin, a naturally occurring fibre that keeps your digestive tract healthy and clean.
- Environmentally friendly and sustainable. The sap provided from the coconut palm flower buds can be harvested for the entire life of the tree. With proper management coconut trees can produce both sap and coconuts without harming the tree. The production of coconut sugar provides jobs for those who reside in areas that experience poverty and its production does not destroy or pollute the environment.