For sufferers of seasonal allergies, there may be relief in an old traditional remedy. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is a natural antibiotic and antihistamine. Although not extensively researched, ACV has been used since the era of Hippocrates and is well known for its health benefits. These benefits include:
- Assists in weight reduction
- Lowers triglyceride levels
- Boosts metabolism
- Helps reduce Body Mass Index
- Helps reduce Visceral fat
- Reduces insulin resistance
- Detoxifies the body
Apple Cider Vinegar in allergiesWhen an allergic reaction is triggered in your body, it releases histamine to signal mucous membranes to try and expel the allergen. This produces symptoms such as:
- Nasal and sinus congestion
- Itchy, red swollen or watery eyes
- Coughs or sneezing
- Acetic acid found in ACV can increase your body’s absorption of minerals from foods such as green leafy vegetables. - Increasing our nutrient absorption can help improve our immune system and general health.
- In one study it was found that 28 days pretreatment with vinegar increased levels of beneficial bacteria such as Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria.- Increasing good gut bacteria has many health benefits including immune health.
- Another study showed that cooking with vinegar may decrease allergic reactions to the foods.
How to use itInhaling or drinking undiluted ACV can burn the mucous membranes of your airways or esophagus. It is best used in salad dressings, cooking, or as a diluted warm tea. To drink ACV, dilute 2 teaspoons in a glass of water. Please check with your health practitioner if you are on medications before starting a long term course at higher doses.