What your brain doesn't need...For instance, it's now understood that too much sugar really harms your brain and it is not your brain’s preferred source of energy. In addition, low cholesterol actually increases your risk of developing and dying from Alzheimer’s disease as opposed to lowering your risk.
4 ways to prevent Dementia and Alzheimer'sStill, in the midst of revealing these eye-opening truths, scientists also discovered four secret weapons that naturally support cognition and overall brain health. Incorporating these supplements into your daily routine will give you the advantage you need to stay ahead of dementia and Alzheimer's
- A = Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) This powerful antioxidant is a professional when it comes to converting glucose into energy. Free radicals get released during the process of breaking down food. However, alpha lipoic acid prevents those free radicals from damaging cells serving an immeasurable benefit to your brain. Studies show that ALA easily enters and protects brain cells thereby optimising cognition in people with Alzheimer’s and slowing its progression.
- B = Vitamin B12 As one of the well-known B vitamins, vitamin B12 helps produce energy from glucose while regulating mood and managing stress. Vitamin B12 also promotes cardiovascular health and has been linked to preventing several forms of cancer, including breast, colon, and prostate. One study observed that individuals who consumed foods high in vitamin B12 reduced their risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease later in life. This finding convinces medical professionals that vitamin B12 is essential for regulating brain function and resisting brain shrinkage.
- D = Vitamin D Most likely, you already know that daily sun exposure is very necessary for overall health. One of the reasons why you need sun exposure is to maintain an adequate level of vitamin D. After all, vitamin D offers significant anti-inflammatory properties that boost not only your immune system, but also your brain health. Several Alzheimer’s patients have illustrated low levels of vitamin D along with poor cognition. Thus, scientists believe that vitamin D protects neurons, enhances cell-to-cell communication, and fights inflammation within the brain.
- G = Gingko Biloba For some time now, gingko biloba has been praised for its ability to promote blood circulation, support cardiovascular function, and improve attention. It is gingko’s effect on attention that led researchers to study if gingko biloba had any effects on dementia. To their gratification, gingko has very positive effects on dementia! This supplement improves cognition as well as social interaction in those suffering from dementia. Furthermore, gingko biloba has proven to work in a similar fashion to a popular dementia drug making it a possible treatment for other neurological disorders.
Just remember ABDG!When it comes to preventing or reversing Alzheimer’s disease, you should not overlook these four secret weapons. And if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ‘Ask a Naturopath’ at Mr Vitamins.
Thompson's One-A-Day Ginkgo 6000
Find out more and shop online for
- Supports mental alertness, concentration and memory
- Standardised Ginkgo extract - each capsule provides 29.4mg of the active ginkgo flavonglycoside High potency formula