Microbiota through the aging process:
From Birth to Three YearsIt is well recognised that the initial microbiota of an infant is affected by the type of birth and the mother’s gut microbiota. During the early stages of life, the colonisation and development of the infant’s microbiota changes rapidly. These changes are influenced by early life experiences. These include the type of birth.
- For babies who were born naturally their microbiota resembles the maternal gut and vaginal microbiota.
- And for those born by caesarean section their initial microbiota is more like their mother’s skin and oral microbiota and environmental bacteria.
- Breastfed babies develop increased levels of Bifidobacterium.
- Significant changes occur as the baby is introduced to solids and a varied diet.
- Other factors that influence the microbiota include the environment, medications and vaccinations.
From three years to adulthoodFrom the age of three the main microbiota balance becomes a lot more stable. Their development has been influenced by geography, diet, early life environment and genetics. Microbiota are continually affected by:
- GI disorders
- Illness & disease
- Sex-hormone effects
70 Years onwardsGut microbiota becomes more vulnerable and the number of species decrease from 70 years of age on. These changes are influenced by the aging processes and choices of:
- Reduced exercise
- Decreased intestinal function
- Reduced immunity
Your own Microbial footprintWhile the gut microbiota can be generalised across the aging process it is important to note that each and everyone of us have our own microbial footprint. This is influenced by gender, diet, geography, age, occupation, genetic, travel, season, medications, air, water, probiotics, etc.
What do those long names mean?Some species names have been provided in this article. Watch this space for future articles that will explain what these names mean.
If you would like to find out more: Naturopath Janne Ramsay Janne Ramsay is a Naturopath at Mr Vitamins. She runs regular workshops on the Gut Connection and understands the importance of good digestion and its impact on health and wellbeing. To find out how your digestion and microbiome is affecting your health make an appointment to see Janne. For a Naturopathic consultation: BOOK HERE Find Out How Your Digestion Impacts Your Health … Every Day! Join Mr Vitamin’s Naturopath Janne Ramsay as she takes you through an informative and fun presentation on the basics of healthy digestion. Discover how your digestive system directly impacts your health. To attend workshop: BOOK HERE