Natural Skincare: Do you know what you're putting on your skin?Your skin is your largest organ and can be a good indicator of your general health and wellbeing. A person who is in shock usually presents with pale skin and goose bumps, while someone with a fever usually feels warm to touch. Your skin has several important functions too. Firstly, it serves as a protective barrier, preventing internal organs and tissues from being exposed to trauma, to the elements such as UV rays, to toxins and bacteria. It also helps regulate your temperature, serves as a sensory preceptor and helps to control fluid loss. One thing many of us do not know is that your skin allows your body to absorb certain molecules applied to it.
Did you know that 60% of what you put on your skin is absorbed into your blood stream?
So what are the problems with commercial skincare?
1. Commercial skincare products often contain highly toxic chemicals.If you are using a top-brand skincare range, chances are that some of the ingredients in your products are highly toxic chemicals that can significantly undermine your skin and health in the long-term. Have a look now at your cleanser’s list of ingredients. Can you see ingredients such as DEA (diethanolamine), Parabens, Sodium laureth sulfate? These are reccognised to be harmful to your health, connected to health issues such as skin irritations, rashes, allergies, and, more concerning, to infertility, chronic fatigue, hormonal imbalances and cancer.
2. Some “Natural Skincare Products are NOT naturalMany commercial companies make claims that they use natural ingredients, such as essential oils. However, a product with even one toxic ingredient can be harmful. Look for products that are 100% natural, and are endorsed by authorised certification bodies such as Demeter, NASAA, EcoCert, which have stringent controls and measures before certifying products.
3. Many skincare companies use packaging that is made from harmful chemical-laden plasticsQuality natural products are packaged in containers made from recyclable materials and safe ingredients.
4. The manufacturing process is just as important as the ingredientsIf you are serious about removing toxins from your life, then you also need to look for skincare companies that manufacture their products using organic, biodynamic and sustainable manufacturing processes – basically that are ethical, protect the rights of animals, and that respect and preserve the environment.
Switching to Natural Skincare with natural ingredients
What are the benefits of going natural?
- Natural skincare ingredients have fewer side effects than synthetic or chemical substances. When absorbed into your blood stream,these ingredients are more easily absorbed without the harsh implications of toxins.
- Plant-based ingredients and other natural ingredients such as green clay, are rich in minerals and trace elements, thereby feeding and nourishing your skin without undermining one’s health
- Natural products not only keep your skin healthy and free from chemicals, but they are also better for the environment. As they are washed down our sinks, they end up in our waterways and do not harm the environment.
- Natural ingredients are known to nourish and nurture the skin, to rejuvenate cell growth and hydrate gently. They work with your body’s own natural healing mechanisms to create healthier and more radiant skin.
- Eliminating chemical-laden skincare from your regime reduces the risk of chemical overload and toxicity within your body and minimises the risk of skin irritation.