According to Arthritis Australia, there are more than 3.8 million Australians, ranging from young children right through to the elderly that are affected by some form of arthritis, and 2.4 million of these Australians are of working age. There’s a lot of people who have to struggle on a daily basis with pain, inflammation and restricted movement. By taking a preventative or an early intervention approach, you can enjoy life to the full pain-free and participate in everyday activities. But when things go wrong, we have that covered too.
Arthritis: an umbrella term used to describe over 100 medical conditionsArthritis is an umbrella term used to describe over 100 medical conditions that can affect the musculoskeletal system, specifically your joints. Arthritis is the major cause of disability and chronic pain in Australia, costing more than $23.9 billion each year in medical care alone. It’s predicted, that unless the Federal Government takes some preventative measures, the number of Australians affected by arthritis could reach 7 million by 2050. Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and gout account for more than 95% of cases of arthritis in Australia.
Over 230 joints can lead to problemsYou have over 230 moveable and semi-moveable joints in your body, composed mainly of cartilage, bone, tendons, muscles and ligaments. Arthritis revolves around the deterioration of cartilage which helps protect the joint and the end of the bones; the once smooth cartilage becomes uneven, causing friction and pitting of the bones. Tendons, ligaments and muscles surrounding the joint weaken and the joint becomes distorted, inflamed, painful and stiff. Cold weather in particular seems to amplify the symptoms of arthritis by constricting tissues, which places more pressure on joints and nerves, leading to greater pain levels, inflammation and stiffness.
Early intervention, prevention and symptom management are keyArthritis is not yet curable, and arthritis research suggests that early intervention can delay the onset of the disease and maintaining a healthy weight and regular physical activity plays a vital role in prevention. Physical activity in particular, can improve joint mobility, muscle strength and help you maintain a healthy weight, reducing stress on your joints. Taking preventative action or eliminating, reducing or learning to manage your pain levels naturally lets you actively takpart in everyday activities and generally feel happier and healthier. Supplements to consider are:
- Glucosamine stimulates the production of important structural components that make up joint cartilage, helping to normalise cartilage function and promote cartilage repair. Glucosamine improves symptoms of pain, joint tenderness and joint swelling associated with osteoarthritis.
- Chondroitinis an important structural component of cartilage. Chondroitin is important for cartilage repair, inhibits the enzymes that cause cartilage damage and maintains ‘shock absorbing’ fluid in joint cartilage.
- MSM or methylsulfonylmethane (an organic form of sulfur) is required for the production of important cross linkage structural components of joint cartilage making cartilage firm and resilient.
- Omega-3’s in a concentrated form, provide a rich source of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). Research supports EPA for joint health where it has been shown to increase joint mobility, reduce joint inflammation, swelling and morning stiffness and provides temporary pain relief for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Collagenis a major structural component of connective tissue, found in high concentrations in cartilage, ligaments, tendons, bone, teeth, skin, hair and nails. Collagen provides tensile strength and firmness and stability to connective tissues.
Mr Vitamins recommendsHerbs of Gold Supplements for Healthy Joints
- Glucosamine MAX
- Omega-3 Concentrate
- Collagen Gold