Are You Forgetting to remember?Are you forgetful, always looking for your car keys or where you put your wallet? I think at one time or another we can all say “yes” that sounds like me. As we get older our physical structure and function tends to change and slow down so it’s no wonder our memory may not be quite what it used to be. Cognition is a term used to describe ‘memory, learning and attention’ and can be classified as either short-term or long-term memory. Short-term memory is involved in problem solving and mental speed, whereas long-term memory is involved in recall of experiences and knowledge.
What happens to your brain as you age?As you age your brain cells start to deteriorate and the communication between these cells tends to decline. Cell loss in the front of your brain decreases the production of chemical messengers including acetylcholine - a neurotransmitter essential for learning and memory. These neurotransmitters act like switches in your brain and if your body is deprived of enough nutrients to make them, then a power failure or short circuit occurs resulting in memory loss and cognitive function.
Prevention of memory lossDiet and nutrition play a major role in helping to prevent memory loss so if you have adequate levels of nutrients and a balanced healthy lifestyle there is no reason that you should not remain sharp and full of life well into your nineties.
Natural supplements to support memory & cognition
- BacoMind® is a clinically trialled extract of Brahmi (Bacopa monniera) that contains a unique combination of active ingredients. BacoMind® has been found to support cognitive function and memory during ageing.
- Omega-3’s including EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) are ‘good’ fats; essential for your body as you cannot make them so they must be obtained through your diet. DHA is the main structural component of your brain and contributes to improved concentration, learning and recall. EPA is equally important for brain function.
- L-theanine from Green teais an amino acid or building block for protein that is found almost exclusively in tea. L-theanine helps maintain healthy brain function by regulating neurotransmitters and is responsible for promoting a relaxed, yet alert state of mind.
- Acetyl L-carnitine supports the production of acetylcholine for healthy brain and mental functioning, helping to maintain a healthy cognitive function and memory during ageing.
- Gingkohelps maintain blood flow to the brain, providing important nutrients and oxygen to assist in the maintenance of cognitive function, memory, focus and concentration.
8 Tips to minimise age related memory loss
- Keep active mentally
- Get regular physical exercise
- Get plenty of sleep
- Limit your sugar intake
- Drink plenty of clean, filtered water
- Avoid tobacco
- Add herbs such as Sage & Rosemary to meals
- Eat a healthy brain diet*