Why is Magnesium for weight loss important?Magnesium, like B-vitamins, is an important energy nutrient that functions in your body to activate enzymes involved in the digestion, absorption, and use of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Without energy nutrients, you can develop unnecessary food cravings, low blood sugar, anxiety, and a tendency to overeat making weight loss virtually impossible. Magnesium also helps insulin guide glucose into cells for energy. When there is not enough Magnesium available for that process, glucose and insulin levels elevate, glucose is stored as fat, and the extra insulin puts you at risk for diabetes.
Magnesium counteracts the effects of stressYet another valuable role of Magnesium is its ability to nullify the effects of stress. You probably already know that stress triggers the release of a hormone called cortisol, which slows down your metabolism. And with a slow metabolism it becomes very difficult to lose weight. However, Magnesium counteracts this process!
Increase your Magnesium, reduce your abdomen!Just about everyone struggles with abdominal fat; and yes, you guessed it—Magnesium helps to reduce abdominal fat too! Over half of the insulin in the bloodstream is sent to the abdomen. As a result, it is believed that the more sugar you consume, the more insulin your body produces and ultimately sends to your abdomen for processing. At the same time, scientists have determined that Magnesium deficiency leads to abdominal obesity. So again, getting enough daily Magnesium can help keep your middle trim.
Magnesium for weight loss... and moreSome other conditions improved by Magnesium:
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
- Mood swings
- Type II diabetes
- Some forms of cancer
How much Magnesium should you have in your diet?Considering the number of processes Magnesium is involved in within the body, you really need to consume a significant amount of Magnesium every day. Yet, different people have different Magnesium requirements. This is the case because some individuals are more Magnesium deficient than others. Likewise, some individuals may be taking supplements that affect how well Magnesium is absorbed. Vitamin D and Calcium are two good examples of supplements that work with or resist Magnesium function, respectively. So, be sure to ‘Ask a Naturopath’ to check if you are Magnesium deficient as well as recommend the proper Magnesium supplement and dosage for you.
Mr Vitamins Naturopath Peter Radi, Reviews 4 Magnesium Products for weight loss
1. Magnesium for those with moderate weight loss goals
- 320mg of well absorbed organic form of magnesium
- L-carnitine to assist with burning fat for fuel,
- Glutamine for blood sugar balancing and sugar cravings
- Chromium for to assist with blood sugar regulation and insulin sensitivity
- Zinc and selenium to assist with thyroid hormone function and
- Some of the B vitamins to help support metabolic function
2. Magnesium with B6 if you need more energy and alertness
- 150mg of well absorbed chelated magnesium
- Vitamin B6 in the form of active B6 (p5p) to help with a number of different aspects of metabolic function to assist you in making energy and burning fat
3. Magnesium if you need support with stress & insomnia
Ethical Nutrients Mega Magnesium (powder)The main active constituents of this formula include:
- 300mg of well-absorbed Magnesium in the form diglycinate
- 3g of taurine to help with improving insulin sensitivity and balances blood sugar, making fat loss easier. It can also assist with sleep, stress relief and recovery after exercise
- Contains B6 to help with a number of different aspects of metabolic function to assist you in making energy and burning fat
4. Magnesium if you are already active and taking supplements
Fusion Magnesium Advanced (tablets)For those who are already taking other supplements, this product contains a total of 200mg of elemental magnesium in 4 different organic well-absorbed forms. Shop now for FUSION HEALTH MAGNESIUM ADVANCED 120T
For those who have ambitious weight loss goals and are prone to sugar cravings
Nutrition Care Muscle Back Energy (powder)This product is one of the most comprehensive formulas on the market for optimising metabolic function. Its active ingredients include:
- 300mg of well absorbed chelated magnesium
- Glutamine for sugar cravings, blood glucose control and insulin sensitivity
- 250mcg of chromium for blood sugar balance and insulin sensitivity
- 5mg of biotin to help regulate blood sugar control
- vitamin B6
- 1. Singh RB, "Association of low plasma concentrations of antioxidant vitamins, magnesium and zinc with high body fat per cent in Indian men." Magnes Res, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 3-10, 1998.
- 2. Ma J et al., "Associations of serum and dietary magnesium with cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, insulin, and carotid arterial wall thickness; the ARIC study, Artherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study." J Clin Epidemiol, vol. 48, pp. 927-940, 1995.
- 3. Humphries S et al., "Low dietary magnesium is associated with insulin resistance in a sample of young, non-diabetic Black Americans." Am J Hypertens, vol. 12, no. 8, pt. 1, pp. 747-756, 1999.
- 4. Alzaid AA et al., "Effects of insulin on plasma magnesium in noninsulindependent diabetes mellitus: evidence for insulin resistance." J Clin Endocrinol Metab, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 1376-1381, 1995.
- 5. Barbagallo M et al., "Altered cellular magnesium responsiveness to hyperglycemia in hypertensive subjects." Hypertension, vol. 38, no. 3, pt. 2, pp. 612-615, 2001.
- 6. Dominguez LJ et al., "Magnesium responsiveness to insulin and insulin-like growth factor I in erythrocytes from normotensive and hypertensive subjects." J Clin Endocrinol Metab, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 4402-4407, 1998.
- 7. Johnson S. The multifaceted and widespread pathology of magnesium deficiency. Med Hypothesis. 2001 Feb;56(2):163-70.