Juicing is a healthy way to shed those excess pounds without sacrificing nutrition. Weight gain happens for many reasons, some health or medically related, but most commonly poor diet including too much sugar. Juicing is a great way to feed your body whilst giving your digestive system a rest so that your body can use its energy to mobilise fats stores. Juicing also helps cleanse your body of toxins, revitalise your skin and digestive system as well as boost your energy levels.
Tips for juicing
- Use organic vegetables and fruits. Choose orgaic produce such as: kale, carrots, alfalfa sprouts, spinach, wheat grass, beets, cucumber, celery, apple (without the seeds), berries, kiwi, banana, and papaya. Be creative; try juicing vegetables that you don’t like such as beets. They have many health benefits.
- Modify your diet. Juicing is the perfect time to make healthy changes to your regular diet. Cut out or at least reduce the amount of the following foods; processed foods, hydrogenated fats, white sugar and flour, caffeine, and soda. Add grass fed meat or fish, whole grains and other vegetables that aren’t getting juiced such as: broccoli, squash and lettuce.
- Prevent insulin spikes. To avoid insulin spikes use more vegetables than fruit. Also make sure to add fat and protein. Great choices are: avocado, flax or chia seeds, nut and protein powder. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different foods.
- Nourish your liver. Your liver is your friend in weight loss because that is where fat is metabolised. Being overweight is a sign that your liver may not be doing its job. Start by removing toxins such as artificial sweeteners including aspartame. Add more green leafy and cruciferous vegetables along with nutrient dense super foods. Also add healthy fats like olive or coconut oil and nuts. These fats can help prevent fat cravings.
- Keep moving. Making dietary changes can help but you should also add physical activity. Light to moderate exercise is best. Try walking, swimming, Tai Chi, Yoga, or free weights. Physical activity not only gets your body moving but also helps eliminate toxins as well as fat.
- Make plans. Juicing and dietary changes require a bit of work on your part. Making and sticking to a list of foods to buy can help you make good choices while out shopping. Choose organic produce that is in season. Remember fresh juice should be consumed within 24 hours.
How to add Juicing to your dietIt is not recommended to go from your usual diet to a liquid diet of only juice for an extended period of time. It is best to add juicing to your regular diet while making changes slowly.
In addition to a healthy diet
- Add one 250ml glass of juice to your diet daily.
For meal replacement
- Replace one meal with four 250ml glasses of juice. Before trying this method of weight loss 'ask a naturopath' if this type of juicing is right for you.