Your Liver is the Key to a Healthy FutureSince ancient times the Liver has been seen as a way of foretelling the future. The Babylonians examined the Livers of animals killed for sacrifice, so too did the Etruscans and Romans. The Liver was considered the source of the blood and hence the basis of life itself. Its condition was seen as being the key to the animal’s overall healthas well as a way of divining the future. Often ancient rites can teach us something that is still very relevant today. Your future health depends on the health of your Liver so:
- How healthy your Liver is right now?
- How can you have a Healthy Liver and a Healthy Life now, and in the future?
So what does your Liver actually do?
Blood flows to your Liver from your stomach and intestines carrying with it the nutrients it has absorbed from digestion.Here briefly, are some of the over 500 different functions your Liver performs:
- Processes nutrients in your blood converting them into energy
- Regulates the amount of Glucose (for energy), in your blood, storing some of the excess for later use.
- Stores Iron, Vitamins, Glucose, many other chemicals and Blood too.
- Stores waste products until it can safely release them into your bloodstream for removal by your kidneys.
- Regulates the levels of important nutrients in your blood i.e. Amino Acids, Vitamins, Fats, Enzymes, Hormones
- Destroys bacterial and viral infections
- Breaks down drugs and toxins
- Produces bile and stores it in the Gall Bladder. Bile is used by your Liver to rid itself of toxic material and is discharged into your Small Intestine to help you digest fats.
- Produces hormones, including sex hormones – and breaks down used ones
- Manufactures enzymes and proteins, vital for many biochemical reactions like blood clotting and repair of any damage to your body