Your body is an ecosystem defended by the gutThe human body is a complex ecosystem of microbes and organs which have interrelated functions and in which the gut acts as the frontline defender of the immune system. Your gut is constantly exposed to new microbes from foods and drinks. From the start of life, handling anything in the outside world – for example an infant sucking their thumb - exposes the gut to different microorganisms.
Exposure to microbes trains the immune system on how to respond to different organismsHarmful organisms are destroyed; helpful organisms are integrated in the body to contribute to overall good health. Colostrum, as the first good food we are exposed to, plays a massively important role here.
The microbiome is one of the most exciting discoveries for health in the 21st century!The collection of microbes that live in and on the human body is known as the microbiota. The microbiome refers to the complete set of genes within these microbes. Most of these live in your gut! On average the human gut has
- 40,000 bacterial species,
- 9 million unique bacterial genes and
- 100 trillion microbial cells.
Colostrum: the perfect first food for gut healthThis brings us back to colostrum – the first food designed by Mother Nature for all mammals. For the first 2 to 5 days after a baby is born, mothers make a small amount of colostrum, before the production of true milk. Ingesting colostrum establishes beneficial bacteria in the newborn’s digestive tract. For the developing microbiome, it is the original and most powerful influence on your gut health and microflora.
Colostrum provides an abundance of nutrients including:
- Vitamin and minerals
- High levels of protein and growth factors
- Antibodies (immunoglobulins) - which offer protection against bacterial, viral and fungal infections.
Southernature Colostrum Chewable TabletsMade from quality cow colostrum, Colostrum is the specific first diet of mammalian neonates. It is rich in nutrients, immunoglobulins and growth factors. Find out more and shop online for Southernature Colostrum Chewable Tablets here
- Braun, L., Cohen, M. (2007). Herbs & Natural Supplements. An evidence based guide.2nd edn. Churchill Livingstone.
- Ash, M. 2014. Colostrum Meets the Microbiome A Tried and True Remedy for Gut Health Takes Centre Stage. Clinical Education. Retrieved from: https://www.clinicaleducation.org/resources/reviews/colostrum-meets-the-microbiome-a-tried-and-true-remedy-for-gut-health-takes-center-stage/#_edn1. Accessed 13/3/17
- Balch, P, A., Balch, J, F. Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 3rd ed. Avery Publishing, New York.