New Year, New TastesBut never fear – the New Year brings new beginnings, new tastes, new ingredients, new cooking ideas and a wonderful new approach to living a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
Not your ordinary SushiHere is a Sushi recipe. But not your ordinary sushi recipe. It´s not filled with all the artificial colourings, flavours or preservatives like regular sushi is. Instead, not only does it NOT contain all these nasty additives, but it is actually extremely detoxifying, abundant in nutrients and a superb meal to get you back into shape after the festive season. It's satisfying, delicious and nutritious! The main ingredient is actually broccoli!!! But don´t worry, we promise this recipe will be delicious, you just have to give it whirl. Here are just some of the health benefits of broccoli:
- Detoxifying:It has a very strong impact on the body´s ability to detox heavy metals and toxins from food and the environment out of the body due to the powerful phytonutrients this superfood yields
- Reduces cholesterol: Broccoli has been shown to reduce cholesterol because of the fibre and antioxidant capacity
- Hyper-allergenic and anti-inflammatory: Broccoli contains a flavonoid called kaempferol. This flavonoid has been shown to reduce allergic reactions in those who suffer allergies and also helps to drive down inflammatory pathways
- Antioxidants: It has also been shown in many studies that the extremely high and powerful antioxidants in broccoli has the ability to prevent or fight cancer
- Weight loss: Although broccoli contains a myriad of extraordinary health benefits, it so happens to be extremely low in calories! Perfect to get you back in shape for the summer
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 flat tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (for cooking)
- 3 nori sheets
- 1 carrot (cut into long strips)
- 1 handful baby spinach
- ½ avocado
- ½ fillet of freshly cooked salmon
- Squeeze of lemon
- In a food processor, process the broccoli until crumbly. You can also use a hand-held grater or chop very finely with a knife.
- In a pan, heat the coconut oil over low-medium heat and sauté the broccoli for 3-5 minutes, continue stiring until the broccoli has softened.
- Remove from the heat and add the vinegar, rice malt syrup and Himalayan salt.
- Set the broccoli ‘rice’ aside until it has cooled. This is very important as the heat from the broccoli rice could break the nori paper
- On the bamboo sushi roller, place a sheet of nori with the shiny side facing down and spread ½-1 cup of the broccoli ‘rice’ over it, leaving a small gap of about 1 inch from the edge furthest from you. Press the ‘rice’ down firmly.
- Place the vegetables and salmon on the broccoli ‘rice’ and slightly wet the 1 inch edge of the sushi paper with water. Squeeze a little lemon on the salmon. Pick up the edge of the sushi that´s closest to you and very gently but firmly roll away from you, allowing the wet edge to stick to the roll.
- Repeat this with the rest of the nori paper then using a very sharp knife, cut the sushi rolls into small bite-size pieces