What exactly is chlorophyll?Chlorophyll is found in most green plants and vegetables from the grass in your garden to the broccoli on your plate, its what gives them their rich green colour. Just like your body needs water, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals to survive, plants need chlorophyll. Plants use it to convert sunlight into energy for growth; this is called photosynthesis and is required for plants to live and grow.
What can it do for you?While your body doesn't use photosynthesis for growth, it does need the nutrients found in chlorophyll to create the following health benefits.
- Helps cleanse and detoxify your body Chlorophyll helps the body detoxify in many ways, it can help cleanse your blood, cells and organs from built up toxins such as heavy metals, poisons and medications. It also prevents the build of heavy metals by binding to them as well as other carcinogens before your body can absorb them. Studies have shown that one toxin (aflatoxin) was 95 percent eliminated by Chlorophyll in a twenty-four hour period. Adding it to your diet increases your red blood cell count, which in turn creates more oxygen to promote healing.
- Supports your digestive track Chlorophyll can destroy yeast, fungus and other ‘bad’ bacteria in the gut. Its also has the unique ability to reduce body odour, relieve gas and constipation that come from a compromised digestive system. Studies have shown that detoxifying the liver may also help prevent colon cancer.
- Boosts your immune system Poor diet, environmental toxins, medication and stress easily compromise your immune system. Chlorophyll fights the free radicals, created by the above stressors, as well as aiding your body in getting rid of built up toxins. This in turn reduces the amount of work that your immune system must do to protect your body. Free radicals cause damage to your body at a cellular level where disease begins and preventing this damage can reduce your risk of disease.
- Promotes wound healing It has been used topically for over a hundred years to help heal skin wounds. It helps cleanse and remove bacteria that can create infection as well as boosting oxygen levels to speed up the healing process.
- Enhances weight loss Studies have shown that those who consumed chlorophyll with meals reduced their feeling of hunger and kept their blood sugar levels more even. Spikes in blood sugar can create a condition known as glucose intolerance, which contributes to weight gain.
- Alkalises your body Your body always maintains a balance between alkaline and acid. Disease, bacteria, yeast, fungus and virus’s all love and thrive in an acidic body. Chlorophyll, by its very nature, helps boost the scale to the more alkaline side thus preventing disease and over growth of harmful bacteria.