Our sight is one of our most cherished senses and our eyes are the windows of the soul. Most common eye conditions come on so slowly that people may not develop noticeable symptoms until the condition has become quite severe. It makes good sense to take care of our eyes and prevent future vision related problems.
Estimates show that more than 25 million people worldwide are affected by age-related macular degeneration or cataracts, especially people aged 55 and older living in industrialized Western nations.
As we age, our eyes become more susceptible to damage caused by an unhealthy lifestyle and poor dietary choices. Studies have found that a poor diet was a major risk factor for age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. Eye supplements such as vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene and zinc have been found to significantly lower people’s risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
Simple steps to protect our eyes, include wearing sunglasses and hats outdoors, eating foods high in antioxidants (colourful vegetables are a good source), maintaining a healthy weight, managing stress and avoiding cigarette smoke and incorporating specific herbal medicines, vitamins and minerals.
How can eye vitamins keep your eyes healthy and decrease your chance of developing degenerative eye disease?
Antioxidants, such as lutein and vitamin C, help fight free radical damage in the eyes caused over time by things like a poor diet, blue light emissions from computer screens and sun/UV light exposure. Vision loss and disorders like macular degeneration and cataracts are all ultimately caused by the process of oxidative damage. Oxidative damage can cause problems with blood reaching the eyes, damaging the blood vessels.
Antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin protect healthy cells in the eyes while halting the growth of malignant cells that cause damage to vision. Certain vitamins for eye health help fight age-related macular degeneration, which is considered the most common cause of blindness among older adults. Vitamin A is an antioxidant and has been shown to prevent loss of vision caused by degenerative conditions, such as cataract and macular degeneration.
Supplements for dry eyes include omega fatty acids from nuts, seeds and oily fish. Especially oils rich in omega 6 (gamma-linolenic acid) and omega 3 (alpha-linolenic acid) found in flaxseed and hempseed oil.
Vitamins for eyesight improvement not only help protect vision, but they also have other benefits throughout the body.
Items 25-35 of 35
- Nordic Naturals Omega Vision 60CAU $97.45 As low as AU $94.98With this product, you earn 98 loyalty points.The omega-3 DHA is more concentrated in eye tissue than in any other part of the body. Omega Vision, with FloraGLO Lutein, is a synergistic formulation that protects eyes and supports healthy vision by combining high-potency omega-3s with natural carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin.* This unique blend promotes healthy eye moisture and tear production, while also protecting against damaging ultraviolet blue light.* Purity, Freshness, 3rd Party Tested. View details
- Good Health Premium Vision 60CAU $36.95With this product, you earn 37 loyalty points.Good Health Premium Vision Eye care supports Eye health with important antioxidants, herbal extracts, vitamins and minerals. Betacarotene, lutein and Vitamins C & E all provide specific eye benefits, and the minerals zinc, selenium and chromium are vital for healthy eye function and preventing damage to the eye. The herbal extracts Bilberry and Ginkgo provide natural support against age-related eye problems and eyestrain. View details
- Blackmores Macu-Vision Plus 60TAU $31.95 As low as AU $19.99With this product, you earn 32 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Macu-Guard With Bilberry 10000 60TAU $38.95 As low as AU $36.65With this product, you earn 39 loyalty points.
- Spring Leaf Bilberry 5000mg 90CAU $16.95With this product, you earn 17 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Macu-Guard With Bilberry 10000 90TAU $54.95 As low as AU $51.65With this product, you earn 55 loyalty points.