Our sight is one of our most cherished senses and our eyes are the windows of the soul. Most common eye conditions come on so slowly that people may not develop noticeable symptoms until the condition has become quite severe. It makes good sense to take care of our eyes and prevent future vision related problems.
Estimates show that more than 25 million people worldwide are affected by age-related macular degeneration or cataracts, especially people aged 55 and older living in industrialized Western nations.
As we age, our eyes become more susceptible to damage caused by an unhealthy lifestyle and poor dietary choices. Studies have found that a poor diet was a major risk factor for age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. Eye supplements such as vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene and zinc have been found to significantly lower people’s risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
Simple steps to protect our eyes, include wearing sunglasses and hats outdoors, eating foods high in antioxidants (colourful vegetables are a good source), maintaining a healthy weight, managing stress and avoiding cigarette smoke and incorporating specific herbal medicines, vitamins and minerals.
How can eye vitamins keep your eyes healthy and decrease your chance of developing degenerative eye disease?
Antioxidants, such as lutein and vitamin C, help fight free radical damage in the eyes caused over time by things like a poor diet, blue light emissions from computer screens and sun/UV light exposure. Vision loss and disorders like macular degeneration and cataracts are all ultimately caused by the process of oxidative damage. Oxidative damage can cause problems with blood reaching the eyes, damaging the blood vessels.
Antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin protect healthy cells in the eyes while halting the growth of malignant cells that cause damage to vision. Certain vitamins for eye health help fight age-related macular degeneration, which is considered the most common cause of blindness among older adults. Vitamin A is an antioxidant and has been shown to prevent loss of vision caused by degenerative conditions, such as cataract and macular degeneration.
Supplements for dry eyes include omega fatty acids from nuts, seeds and oily fish. Especially oils rich in omega 6 (gamma-linolenic acid) and omega 3 (alpha-linolenic acid) found in flaxseed and hempseed oil.
Vitamins for eyesight improvement not only help protect vision, but they also have other benefits throughout the body.
Items 13-24 of 35
- Fusion Health Bilberry 50CAU $19.95 As low as AU $18.32With this product, you earn 20 loyalty points.Contains a highly concentrated extract of Bilberry, standardised for its content of antioxidant compounds called anthocyanosides Maintains healthy eyes and supports healthy vision May help prevent and relieve eye strain and tired eyes Suitable for people who spend long periods of time at a computer or doing other types of detailed work that leads to visual fatigue View details
- Southernature Bilberry Vision Complete 12000 60TAU $55.26With this product, you earn 56 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Grape Seed Gold 120TAU $46.95 As low as AU $44.98With this product, you earn 47 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Grape Seed Gold 60TAU $27.95 As low as AU $26.65With this product, you earn 28 loyalty points.
- Lifestream Bioactive Blackcurrant 30CAU $23.66 As low as AU $22.98With this product, you earn 24 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Fish Oil 1700mg Odourless 400CAU $25.95 As low as AU $25.65With this product, you earn 26 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Fish Oil 1000mg 200CAU $8.95With this product, you earn 9 loyalty points.
- Thompson's Natural Super Carotene 60CAU $19.95 As low as AU $19.32With this product, you earn 20 loyalty points.