Bilberry is the common name for several species of plants in the Vaccinium genus, especially V. myrtillus. They are low-growing shrubs that are closely related to blueberries and are often mistaken for blueberries.
Bilberry is the richest natural sources of anthocyanin, which is an antioxidant that provides it the dark blue colour.
Bilberry is most famous for its long use for eye and vision problems. Legend has it that during World War II, British and American pilots discovered that eating bilberry jam before night missions greatly improved their night vision. Bilberries then became a staple for Air Force pilots. Since then, extensive research into the benefits of bilberry for the eyes in Europe has shown that bilberries contain specific compounds that can have beneficial effects on circulatory system and on the eyes in preventing age-related ocular disorders.
Studies have shown that bilberry contains more than 15 different anthocyanosides, flavonoid compounds that improve visual clarity, stabilise collagen, strengthen capillaries, inhibit blood clotting, relax smooth muscle, and increase gastric mucus. Dried bilberry fruit is rich in tannins and pectin and vital nutrients including vitamins A, B1, B2, C, E, and K, mineral chromium, manganese, zinc, and iron. Due to the astringent action of tannins and pectin present in bilberry, it exerts a therapeutic effect on stomach inflammation and can be an effective treatment for diarrhoea.
Bilberry supplements can be taken in the form of bilberry tablets, bilberry capsules, bilberry powder, extracted, or in liquid form. When purchasing bilberry extract, ensure that it has at least 25% anthocyanin content for the greatest therapeutic effects.
- Fusion Health Bilberry 50CAU $19.95 As low as AU $18.32With this product, you earn 20 loyalty points.Contains a highly concentrated extract of Bilberry, standardised for its content of antioxidant compounds called anthocyanosides Maintains healthy eyes and supports healthy vision May help prevent and relieve eye strain and tired eyes Suitable for people who spend long periods of time at a computer or doing other types of detailed work that leads to visual fatigue View details
- Southernature Bilberry Vision Complete 12000 60TAU $59.95 As low as AU $59.32With this product, you earn 60 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Macu-Guard With Bilberry 10000 60TAU $38.95 As low as AU $36.65With this product, you earn 39 loyalty points.
- Spring Leaf Bilberry 5000mg 90CAU $16.95With this product, you earn 17 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Macu-Guard With Bilberry 10000 90TAU $54.95 As low as AU $51.65With this product, you earn 55 loyalty points.