Fibre is the indigestible parts of plant foods, such as vegetables, fruits, grains, beans and legumes. It is type of a carbohydrate that is important for digestive health and regular bowel movements.
Fibre also helps you feel fuller for longer, can improve cholesterol and blood sugar levels and can assist in preventing some diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and bowel cancer.
In a varied wholefood diet, dietary fibre will come from fruit, vegetable wholegrains, nuts, legumes and pulses. For whatever reasons our diets are lacking in fibre or we need to increase our intake without increasing our food intake, a fiber supplement is available in the form of fiber tablets, fiber powder and even in fibre gummies. Natural fiber supplements for constipation relief can be safely taken long term unlike stimulating laxatives which are only recommended for short periods of use.
There are three different types of fibre which all have different functions and health benefits.
Soluble fibre may help to slow your body's breakdown of carbohydrates and the absorption of sugar, helping with blood sugar control. It makes you feel fuller and may also help to lower cholesterol. Soluble fibre is found in fruits, cucumbers, blueberries, beans, nuts, oats, barley and legumes.
Insoluble fibre does not dissolve at all and helps add bulk to your stool. It absorbs water to help to soften the contents of our bowels and support regular bowel movements. Insoluble fibre is found in foods like dark green leafy vegetables, green beans, celery, and carrots wholegrain breads and cereals, nuts, seeds, wheat bran and the skin of fruit and vegetables.
Resistant starch is not digested in the small intestine and instead proceeds to the large intestine where it can assist in the production of good bacteria and improves bowel health. Resistant starch is found in beans/legumes, starchy fruits and vegetables, whole grains and some types of cooked then cooled foods (such as potatoes and rice) undercooked pasta, under ripe bananas, cooked and cooled potato and rice.
The Australian Heart Foundation recommends that adults should aim to consume approximately 25–30 g of fibre daily.
Items 1-12 of 39
- Nature's Sunshine Slippery Elm 100CAU $25.95 As low as AU $25.65With this product, you earn 26 loyalty points.Slippery elm bark powder contains mucilage, a gelatinous like substance that reacts with water to form a slippery gel-like substance, when taken orally it expands in the digestive tract and helps provide a protective barrier for irritated gastric mucous membranes. When taken after meals Slippery elm capsules may soothe an irritated or acidic stomach and help relieve the digestive symptoms of heartburn and reflux. View details
- Blooms Slippery Elm 375MG 120VCAU $15.95 As low as AU $15.65With this product, you earn 16 loyalty points.A pleasant way to soothe the stomach! Blooms Slippery Elm Bark capsules is a convenient way to settle an acidic or irritated stomach. It can alleviate heartburn by coating and soothing irritation in upper gastrointestinal tract and also reduces the symptoms of indigestion, constipation and diarrhoea. Convenient, easy-to-swallow capsules Vegetarian/vegan friendly Also available in powder form View details
- Blooms Slippery Elm Bark Powder 125GAU $17.95 As low as AU $17.65With this product, you earn 18 loyalty points.Blooms Slippery Elm Bark is a convenient way to settle an acidic or irritated stomach. Available in both capsule and pleasant tasting powder form. It can alleviate heartburn by coating and ‘soothing’ the irritated upper gastrointestinal tract and reduces the symptoms of indigestion, constipation and diarrhea. View details
- Nature's Way VitaGummies Fibre 110PAU $13.95 As low as AU $13.32With this product, you earn 14 loyalty points.
- Spring Leaf Premium Fat Clear Max Strength Formula 120CAU $39.95 As low as AU $38.95With this product, you earn 40 loyalty points.
- Blackmores Paw DigestiCare 60 Multi-Strain Probiotic + Wholefood Powder 150 GramsAU $34.95 As low as AU $34.65With this product, you earn 35 loyalty points.