Yoga Teacher and Mr Vitamins’s Nutritionist, Maya Butti shares her eating philosophy, gym bag essentials, motivation to live a healthy lifestyle and her top health tips.
Maya’s health journey began as she quit her corporate job to travel the world, undertook training to become a yoga teacher and live a healthier, more balanced lifestyle. Upon her return, Maya completed a Bachelor’s Degree in Nutritional Medicine and now endeavors to help others experience their own version of optimal health, both physically and emotionally.
1. Name and role:
I’m Maya Butti. I am a degree qualified nutritionist and yoga teacher. I practice holistic health- diet, lifestyle, mind and movement therapy.
2. 3 foods you can’t live without:
Miso! Being half Japanese, I grew up drinking miso for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Now I use it in salad dressings, in marinades and as a flavour enhancer. Miso is alive- rich in probiotics and great for digestive health!
Cauliflower- steam it, bake it, pop a frozen floret into your smoothie, or make rice! What can’t cauliflower do! I especially love cauliflower as it is nutrient and fibre dense, making it a versatile superfood!
Berries- I almost once ate a kilo in one go (note- I wouldn’t recommend this!)! Not only are berries delicious, they are low in sugar and high in anthocyanins, powerful antioxidants. Blueberries can improve cognitive function within hours of consumption- that is real food as medicine.
3. What’s your favourite way to move?Yoga! My yoga practice is a key part of my wellbeing- physical, mental and emotional. Yoga gives me internal space to clear my mind and process emotions. The mobility and flexibility aspect balances out my weight training, and keeps me agile. I practice one vinyasa 3 times a week and balance with one yin class.
4. Why did you decide to be a Nutritionist and what’s your eating philosophy?
I decided to become a nutritionist because I am passionate about natural health, and the body’s innate ability to heal itself. I truly believe that the body can heal itself when we nourish it adequately and give it the right environment for health. In fact, I have seen this happen over and over in my clinic! I love helping people discover their best health and nothing makes me happier than seeing my patients radiate!
My food (and everything) philosophy is balance. I promote an 80-20 rule. Eat well 80% of the time and the remaining 20% is for soul food- enjoying a night out with friends and family is as important for our health as healthy eating! I belive that there is no one-size fits all when it comes to nutrition- constitution, heritage, environmental factors and lifestyle all play large roles in determining what is the best way for each person to eat and live healthy.
5. What are the top 2 healthy essentials we could find in your handbag/gym bag?
A stainless steel/ glass water bottle. I am big on hydration and make sure I drink 2L of filtered water per day. I carry my bottle everywhere so I can keep up my water intake and so I don’t have to consume water from plastic water bottles (a big no-no for health and the environment in my opinion!).
Juniper Rose Otto Hydrating mist. I love this product because it keeps my skin fresh and hydrated during the day. Being passionate about natural skincare and anti-aging, I choose products which are free from harmful chemicals.
6. What motivates you to live a healthy life?
Feeling good and having the energy to enjoy life! Movement and good food is the best combination for a high vitality!
7. If you could give only one tip to improve the health of others, what would it be? (this can be reworded differently!)
My biggest health tip is to be realistic. I see so many people go from 0 to 100 with their health, only to become disappointed when the changes are too difficult to maintain. I think small incremental changes are key to building long-term sustainable health, bearing in mind that we are all human and need to enjoy a chocolate brownie every once in a while! I remind my clients to celebrate every small improvement, as it sets the foundation for lasting health!
Connect with Maya
Book in for a one on one consultation at Mr Vitamins Wellbeing Clinic: Book Now
Facebook: Balanced by Maya