Honest to Goodness have shared their favourite healthy hot cross bun recipe made with wholefood ingredients.
Hot cross buns are part of Easter celebrations for many families and these are packed full of organic dried fruit!
1 1/2 cups (375ml) warm milk
2 tsp instant dried yeast
1/4 cup (55g) organic raw sugar (or coconut sugar)
60g butter, melted
1 egg, lightly whisked
4 1/2 cups (675g) organic wholewheat bakers flour
2 tsp organic cinnamon ground
1 tsp organic nutmeg ground
1 cup (170g) organic dried sultanas
1/4 cup (45g) organic currants
1/4 cup (50g) organic dried apricots
1/3 cup (80ml) cold water
1/2 cup (170g) organic raw honey (or apricot jam)
- Gently heat milk. Combine the milk, yeast and 1 tbs of sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Combine the milk mixture, butter and egg in a jug and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine 4 cups of the flour, salt, spices and remaining sugar. Add the sultanas, currants and apricots and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the liquid mixture and use a wooden spoon to stir until just combined, and then use your hands to bring the dough together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a damp tea towel and put to the side for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and grease a tray. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 16 even pieces and roll into a ball. Arrange each ball, side by side, in the prepared pan. Set aside for 30 minutes or until dough has risen 2cm.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining flour and water together in a small bowl until a smooth paste forms. Place the mixture in a piping bag (or a small plastic bag with the end snipped off), and pipe a vertical & horizontal line down the centre of each row of buns, to form crosses. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 180 degrees and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Turn onto a wire rack. Place the honey or jam in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until melted, then brush over the buns. Serve warm with butter, or toasted.