When you think of detoxification, green drinks and lots of water probably come to mind.
But what if you could detox another way that did not involve your diet at all? Well, the answer to that question is—sweating!
Mother Nature’s Plan A for Cleansing
As you already know, when it comes to the human body, Mother Nature has quite a few tricks up her sleeves. And detox is no different. While typical cleansing methods are carried out in the digestive system, your body is capable of removing toxins in other ways including through the skin by way of sweat.
In fact, research shows that sweat contains as many and sometimes more toxins than blood or urine. This suggests that sweating may be the body’s preferred method of toxin removal.
Heavy metal toxins – all the reasons you need to Detox
One of the best aspects of sweating is the large amount of heavy metals it removes. Heavy metals, such as arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury, are all eliminated through sweat in great amounts. And considering how common these heavy metals are in the environment, you are most likely in need of a good sweat!
Here’s why these toxins should not stay in your body:
- Arsenic – This poisonous element is found in many products from insecticide to drinking water. Consequently, arsenic becomes concentrated in the food we eat like fruits and grains, especially rice. It can also be absorbed through the skin.
- Cadmium – A known carcinogen, cadmium makes its way into food crops as well as the soil thanks to cadmium-containing fertilizers, used batteries in landfills, and sewage. Cadmium causes osteoporosis, renal failure, and bone damage.
- Lead – Despite its high toxicity, lead has been added to many products from paint and cookware to even children’s toys. Harmful to all the body’s systems, lead especially targets the liver and kidneys—the detoxification organs—and poisons the brain in a manner similar to recreational drugs.
- Mercury – Commonly found in seafood, amalgam dental fillings, and some vaccines, mercury takes its toll on the nervous system. Whether inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through the skin, mercury can cause hallucinations, delirium, psychosis, and overall brain damage.
So what can you do about this? Sweating is the key!
Try these tips during your workout to kick your system into a sweat:
- Wear breathable clothes
- Skip the antiperspirant
- Spend time in the sauna or exercise in a warm room
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout
And do not forget to ‘Ask a Naturopath’ for more great tips!