This recipe is a great way to get good fats in the form of avocado, as well as the health benefits of garlic.
Many people may be tempted not to include garlic due to the odour. However, having parsley in with your garlic may prevent garlic breath. Parsley works through a process of “enzymatic deodorization” to reduce the odour of garlic, which is why recipes often may include parsley with garlic.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 Lime or lemon - juiced
- 1 small Spanish onion or a few spring onions
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 small tomato - diced
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Chilli powder to taste
- Peel garlic, then place flat of a knife over each garlic clove and press with your hand to smash garlic clove, set aside
- Peel avocados and remove seeds, then place in a bowl and mashed with a fork
- Juice the lemon or lime and add to bowl
- Finely chop onions and add to the bowl
- Peel tomato, cut in half and squeeze out seeds, then finely chop and add to bowl
- Chop parsley or coriander leaves finely and add to bowl
- Add chilli powder to taste
- Chop garlic finely and add to bowl
- Stir all ingredients together with a fork until thoroughly blended
- Will keep refrigerated for 2-3 days
- Serve with a variety of vegetable sticks. Remember the rainbow and include: celery; cucumber; red, yellow and purple capsicum; orange and purple carrots.
Herbalist Maria Mitchell uses an integrated approach in clinic, combining herbs, essential oils and energy healing to treat stress, pain and related conditions.