Think about a protein-rich diet and you might think of buff men and women flexing in their active wear. But the truth is that it has so many vital roles in the body and we all need it!
What is protein?
Protein is a macronutrient is and is made up of amino acids. It is responsible for muscle growth and repair, as well as being needed for the integrity of hair and nails, production of enzymes important for digestion and thyroid health.
Where to find it
The richest sources of protein are poultry, seafood, and eggs. Other sources include dairy products such as yoghurt, cheese, milk, protein powder, as well as nuts, seeds, tofu, tempeh, legumes and beans.
5 reasons to eat more protein
- Protein can aid weight-loss or weight maintenance: High protein diets have been shown to be effective in weight-loss(1) because it makes you feel fuller for longer which removes the need for regular snacking.
- Helps to regulate blood sugar: Having protein at regular intervals throughout the day can help reduce cravings and regulate blood glucose (sugar) (2). This helps reduce cravings and energy slumps throughout the day.
- Stronger nails and hair: Protein is important to the structural integrity and formation of strong hair and nails due to its role in cellular growth, renewal and DNA replication (3).
- Improving mental health: Protein is made of amino acids which are the building blocks or pre-cursors to the production of feel-good hormones such as serotonin and dopamine. Getting enough of these is important in maintaining a balanced mental state (4).
- Supports recovery from exercise: When you exercise, your body breaks down muscle tissue. Protein is responsible for repairing tissues and builds muscle ensuring that your body becomes stronger (5)
The benefits of IsoWhey
The primary protein source in IsoWhey is whey, a protein found in dairy. Whey is a complete protein which means that it provides all of the essential amino acids (essential amino acids are those that the body can’ make for itself). Plus, whey protein has also been shown to boost glutathione- the “master” antioxidant in our body (6).
Some of the benefits of including IsoWhey as part of a healthy diet include;
- Nutritionally balanced.
- High protein.
- Great taste.
- Assist with weight loss and weight management.
- Convenience of shakes that can be made up ahead of time or in less than 1 minute.
- 23 vitamins and minerals.
Author: Natalie Bourke (dietitian, nutritionist, certified fitness instructor)
Nat is a holistic dietitian and nutritionist, certified fitness instructor, yoga and weights lover, speaker and podcaster. She runs an online nutritional consulting business with a clinical focus on “adrenal fatigue” (HPA Axis Dysregulation), thyroid dysfunction, gut issues and hormonal imbalances. She also works in a technical education role for BioCeuticals. She is passionate about teaching women how to build a healthy relationship with food and their body, and uses a functional medicine and a holistic approach to get to the bottom of her patient’s symptoms to provide lasting results. She is also the author of an awesome e-book on gut health, Healing Digestive Discomfort.