The use of makeup dates back to as early as 4000 B.C. Egyptian women and men would use natural minerals such as galena and malachite for decorative eye makeup and naturally tinted clay for blush or lip colour. Not only was it used for beautification, but also provided medicinal and spiritual properties.
Fast forward to 2018 and the application of makeup is still a daily practice for many. The only change is the types of ingredients used in the thousands of products that are on offer. Mainstream brands use an excessive number of ingredients, most which are synthetic, man-made chemicals that do not provide any medicinal properties to the skin and can cause irritations, amongst other health concerns.
Some common chemicals you may find in everyday makeup items include:
- Preservatives such as parabens and butylated compounds
- Synthetic fragrances
- Mineral oils such as isoparrafin
- Heavy metals such as lead
Some synthetic preservatives are petroleum based which can irritate and damage the skin contributing to eczema and allergies. Synthetic fragrances or parfum are a combination of thousands of man-made chemicals that are added as aromas or scents. Many may be phthalates, which are linked to obesity and may disrupt normal endocrine function. Nanoparticles are being used in products without sufficient safety testing and have been linked to adverse reactions to the immune system. Mineral oils are a by-product of petroleum and are known to be contaminated with carcinogens. Present amongst a variety of products including eye-makeup, it can contribute to allergies and autoimmune disorders.
And that’s only the tip of the iceberg. There are many synthetic chemicals that we are unaware of its effects on the human body. As a result, it only makes sense to be applying ingredients that are of a natural source, especially if we are doing it everyday. After all, we absorb majority of what we apply to our skin, so why not use ingredients that will nourish and repair the skin while enhancing your natural beauty.
So what options are available? Below are my three favourite natural makeup brands:
- Ere Perez is an Australian owned company that use ingredients such as oils, plant extracts and minerals, blended with antioxidants which are gentle, highly effective and suit every skin type and skin tone. They have an extensive range including powder or liquid foundation, concealers, blush highlighters, eyeliners, mascara, eye shadow, lipstick and more. Each product has a unique ‘star ingredient’ to enhance the skins natural condition, e.g. ‘calendula powder foundation’ and ‘avocado waterproof mascara’.
- Eco Minerals is an Australian company, made in Byron Bay, which are 100% pure, natural, cruelty free and vegan. The minerals used in the foundations, bronzer and blush provide natural sun protection and a SPF of 24+. All products are lightweight, long-wearing, breathable and suited to all skin types including sensitive skin. They also supply mineral eye colour, brow powder, mascara and eyeliner.
- Eye of Horus is again, a Byron Bay company with a range of eye makeup based on formulas from the Ancient Egyptians with sacred ingredients such as organic moringa oil. The products are wax and oil based, paraben free, great for sensitive eyes, smudge and waterproof and not tested on animals. The range includes mascara, brow definers, eyeliners and eye shadows in a variety of shades and now a new range of lipsticks.
If you are unsure of an ingredient, it is worthwhile investigating and making an informed decision whether you want to apply that to your skin! There are websites and apps such as ‘Safe Cosmetics Australia’, ‘Skin Deep’, ‘Good Guide’ and ‘Think Dirty’ that can assist. You’re skin and body will love you for it.
[magento product_ids=”13181,13159,13195″ title=”Mr Vitamins Recommends” /]
‘Transform your health through individulised nutrition’. Book an appointment
- https://www.safecosmeticsaustralia.com.au/ http://www.safecosmetics.org/